AB ControlLogix Ethernet IO Tree Question

scarince

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have read (here) people say that there are certain things that should not be in the tree. For example, Panelview standard (etherent) is in, but Panelview Plus should not be.

Another example: We have a communications bridge installed to route DH+ to ethernet on an existing assembly line. The bridge is a 1756-ENBT and a 1756-DHRIO card sitting in a remote rack out on the line. A vendor installing new equipment on this line is using it to pass msgs from his ControlLogix PLC (it's on ethernet) to some SLC500's on DH+, and he has put the DHRIO and ENBT cards in his I/O tree.

My question is not really "why not" as much as it is "what happens when you do this?" It must be more than just "bad form" but I don't know what real problems it could create.

Anyone have thoughts on this?