Starting and stopping water pump with PLC

gigacer

hi, i need to make Step 7 program which will make possible to start and stop pump by pressing a button on HMI touch panel.I first need to connect that pump with Siemens S7300 PLC. The pump is Shurflo 8000. I thought to use SM 332 Analog output module. This module can give voltage output of:
* +-10V
* 0 - 10V
* 1 - 5V

I thought to power the pump with 10 V. On the picture below i draw how i think the pump should be connected with SM 332 Module. Is this wiring ok?

Also on the same picture i showed how i think the Step 7 program should look like. I am pretty sure this isn't correct. Can someone tell me how should i program this?

ngUPcx4.png

How much current does the pump draw and what is the max current output of the PLC module? I think you will find the pump draws much more current thatn the PLC can output. Does it need to be variable or will fixed speed do?

What voltage rating is the pump? If it is fixed speed, you do not need an analog output. Have a digital output turn on an external relay which will energize the pump (assuming the pump's current is greater than the relay output of the PLC, or if you are using a transistor output)

i've found this datasheet for pump:http://legacy.shurflo.com/pdf/industry/general/911/911-8000-443-136.pdf , but apparently there are many kinds of this 8000 pumps, i have to check tomorrow what is written on the pump itself, than i will know correct information about voltage rating

the solution with relay would not be that simple because this pump is currently operated manually via switch and i must keep it that way and just add possibility to start and stop the pump via PLC also, so i maked another switch with which you can change if you gonna start and stop the pump manuallay (via first switch) or it's gonna be started and stopped via PLC, powering the pump via analog output module would be simplest solution for me, i just don't know how to program it

Analog outputs are not suitable for directly controlling motors. They are designed for providing low power reference signals to other devices such as variable speed drives. The drive then controls power to the motor.

Analog outputs are also significantly more expensive than basic digital (on / off) type I/O. If you just need a pump to be either on or off, then using an analog output is wasteful.

it looks like what you need is either a relay or contactor which is suitably rated for your pump, depending on what actual model / voltage rating you have. Your digital output will drive this relay / contactor, which in turn switches power to the motor.

I suggest you consult an electrician about physical connection of this pump to your PLC, and what components are required to achieve this safely and to the regulations that are applicable in your country.

I agree with what is stated above, this is just bad practice.

Other than that, in stead of setting an analog output... you have to move a value to the analog output. 100% would be an integer of 27648, 0% = 0.

It looks like the smallest pump draws four amps.

There is absolutely no way an analog output be able to drive that pump directly. The current is about 200 times to small.

Put a relay in parallel with the existing switch and drive the relay from a discrete output.