Up down counter DL06 Automation Direct

kesjakpor

I am new to PLCs just started doing this about a month ago. I want to write a ladder program using directsoft5 for DLO6 . The program should have a comparator portion that instructs a counter on whether to count up or down when people enter or leave a room that has a maximum occupancy of 20 persons. At any point one should be able to walk up to a station that can show how many persons are inside the room. I need help figuring this out please. Can a regular UDC achieve this or do I need the High speed counters. Do I need any stacking instructions?

Kesjakpor

I am new to PLCs just started doing this about a month ago. I want to write a ladder program using directsoft5 for DLO6 . The program should have a comparator portion that instructs a counter on whether to count up or down when people enter or leave a room that has a maximum occupancy of 20 persons. At any point one should be able to walk up to a station that can show how many persons are inside the room. I need help figuring this out please. Can a regular UDC achieve this or do I need the High speed counters. Do I need any stacking instructions?

Kesjakpor

Please anyone with a sample ladder program that can get the up/down counter to count up or down please help

See here http://www.automationdirect.com/static/manuals/d006userm/ch5.pdf

Page 44, the counter (standard or high speed) will be depending on the input you are using

Thanks for the feedback. I saw this section of the manual earlier but my project requires more than instructions.

A room has inlet and outlet doors. Based on if someone enters or leaves the room, the ladder program should automatically instruct the counter to look for....... and based on "that" instructs the counter to increment count or decrement count. There has to be some kind of comparator circuit somewhere. Any ideas? Thanks

but my project requires more than instructions....

...There has to be some kind of comparator circuit somewhere. Any ideas?

Compare is also in the same manual, page 26, there is not a 'do all' that you need, you will need to make several instructions to make your program...

Counter people coming in
Counter people going out
Compare to give you your data

You could also use a +/- instruction and just add 1 or subtract 1 to a value

There are many ways to make a program, you just need to figure out what will work best for you

You need a signal that tells you when a person enters the room. You need a signal that tells you when a person exits the room.
Here's one way to get those signals: Suppose there is a turnstile controlling access to the room. If the turnstile rotates in one direction, you get a signal indicating a person has entered. If it rotates in the opposite direction you get a signal indicating a person has exited.

x0----------------------LD K1(OUT V2000)
X1----------------------LD K2 (OUT V2001)

V2001 > V2000---------------- DEC (V1000)
V2001< V2000 .................... (INC (V1000)

I INTEND HAVING MY UDC AT CT0 (V1000)

Hey guys what I have written up there could be stupid but I want your help to make me think in this direction.

Can I realize this using accumulator stack? how do I achieve the +/- increments?

Do you have a lab where you can program the DL06 and try out your ideas? If so, get your butt to it and practice. That's a lot more efficient than throwing ideas at the forum and waiting for someone to comment. If your school doesn't have a DL06 for you to work with, shame on them. You should be looking for a better school. In the meantime, buy a DL06. They're not that expensive.
If you don't have DirectSoft software and you're on a tight budget, buy a DL05 and get the free version of DirectSoft. That will let you create programs up to 100 words in length which shoul be enough to try out your ideas. A program that runs on a DL05 will also run on a DL06 (although the converse is not always true).

Do you have a lab where you can program the DL06 and try out your ideas? If so, get your butt to it and practice. That's a lot more efficient than throwing ideas at the forum and waiting for someone to comment. If your school doesn't have a DL06 for you to work with, shame on them. You should be looking for a better school. In the meantime, buy a DL06. They're not that expensive.
If you don't have DirectSoft software and you're on a tight budget, buy a DL05 and get the free version of DirectSoft. That will let you create programs up to 100 words in length which shoul be enough to try out your ideas. A program that runs on a DL05 will also run on a DL06 (although the converse is not always true).

My school has the DL06. I have been there to practice a number of times but not just getting any luck on this. This is an idea that I read up over the weekend and I will be trying that in the lab this morning. I just wanted any inputs from experts in this forum who could get me going on a defined track instead of me jumping all around with no approach. Thanks!

Quite often, even though your original idea doesn't pan out, you learn something from the experience that will apply somewhere else.
I expect that as soon as you program the logic you posted and try it out you will see what you need to correct to make it work as you want.