Sierra Wireless GX440 to PLC Remote Connection

Jason Ozolins

When it comes to networking, I'm a little shaky.

I've got a pretty basic setup. One PLC & One HMI connected to a Sierra GX440 Verizon/LTE in the field. The Sierra has been set up with static IP from Verizon and I have connected to the Sierra's AceManager over the internet hitting that static IP...

My PLC and HMI are on a 10.10.10.XXX network with 255.255.255.0 Subnet.

If anyone has experience with AceManager,.. I know there is probably not a short or quick answer to this question, but what is the way to set up the VPN so I can connect to each?

Thanks.

Hi Jason,

It's probably a few months too late but I just put together a similar setup this morning with some guidance from the following post I found online:

http://blog.industrialnetworking.com/2014/05/configure-sierra-wireless-cellular.html
http://blog.industrialnetworking.com/2015/06/configure-port-forwarding-in-sierra_24.html

The second post is probably more relevant. My setup still has some issues due to my SIM static IP not being set up correctly on the AT&T network. My SIM/line has some kind of IPsec tunneling attached to a corporate network- another layer to troubleshoot through.

Were you able to get your setup going?

Yes i did. Thank you for the reply though. Just used port forwarding (even though not secure) to accomplish what I needed.

I ditched ATT and went with Verizon. They assign me static IPs almost instantaneously while I'm on the phone with them.