communications in Allen bradley

kamalice

hi
i am new to Allen bradley.
i will create logics in ladder.but dont know how to create communication.
can any one explain me the different types of communications & ways to do.
i want to communicate my plc with PC or HMI.

Regards,
kamal

There isn't a whole lot of specific information in this site, but I'm in the same boat as you, being very new to the subject. This site gives an overview of various communication, protocols and standards when it comes to PLC communication networks. I would definitely give the entire thing a read.

Most communications in AB PLC’s is done via message instructions. Logix based PLC’s (PAC’s really) can also do what’s called “Produce/Consume”. Technically it’s called TCP/IP UDP. With that you attach a devices (another Logix PLC, remote I/O rack, etc…) I/O to the Logix processor via its own I/O tree. Some of this may not make any sense but if it doesn’t then you’ve got a long road ahead of you. You might want to look at taking some of the training offered on this site.

I understand rslinx, I was more curious about the specific network/cabling and protocol standards. Like layers 1-3 of the OSI.

heh goofy me, for some reason I was thinking I initiated this thread. I have had a LOT of questions about PLC networking as of late, and I'm still looking for a good read on the different networks/protocols and how to utilize them.