RS Linx- Ethernet

T Gibbs

Hi all,
This is probably an easy problem for some of you, but I don't work with AB much, and have never worked with one through ethernet, until today. The panel has an ethernet jack in the door, so I decided to try to connect. After several attempts to get RS Linx to see the processor (SLC 5-05), I gave up and hooked up my RS 232 cable. This panel has an EZ HMI also connected through ethernet. I have a copy of the original program, too. My question is what driver should I be trying to use and how do I determine the settings for it?

The easiest ethernet driver to use is Ethernet/IP devices. If you know the IP address of your PLC (or your HMI), then set your network card to a different address on the same subnet, point your Ethernet/IP driver to the correct network card, and you should be away. No settings needed.

If you don't know the IP address of your PLC or HMI, you can use wireshark to try and sniff it out.

If that doesn't work (I have a vague idea that maybe the SLC's may not work with the Ethernet/IP driver - I'm sure some of the more, er, senior members around here will be able to confirm or deny) the Ethernet Devices driver is pretty solid. The only thing for that one is that you have to know the IP address of your PLC, and enter it manually into the table.

Hope that helps!