Troubleshoot highspeed counter

sg000

Hardware: Omron CJ2M, RedLion Mag Pickup on 60 tooth gear, Redlion inline amplifier

Software: PRV2 and an averaging scheme which has worked well

Issue: I get erratic behaviour on the counter. I'm remote, so doing things at the machine location is difficult. The system acted well up until a week ago. We had an issue that caused a VFD to error. Power reset and everything else is ok. All other readings on the PLC are good. Even the other counter seems stable. It started erratic, then went to what I would call an out-of-bounds reading to now being erratic again.
I was able to have the customer check connections and swap the inline amplifier. We've checked shield grounds and should be ok there.

Questions:
1) Is there a way to tell noise from a bad part? Particular scope reading suggested? I'm beyond my current troubleshooting knowledge.
2) Suggestions on checking the actual counter remotely (I cannot view the blinking light on the module)
3) If I were present at the device, what else to look for besides the blinking light on the module.
4) Other helpful advice? We've assumed thus far that the mag pickup isn't the problem, those are usually robust.

Thanks.
--Scott