Allen Bradley SLC firmware

93lt1

I've been looking on the AB website and I can't seem to find the SLC firmware updates. All I can find is the Controllogix and Panelview+ patches.

Is SLC firmware available on the website? Anyone know where?

Thanks.

I've allways gone through our distributor to get firmware updates for SLC (or Rockwell/GMS tech support).

I always get the firmware updates together with the software updates for RSLogix5000. I think I can find the weblocation for the updates on the papers which came with my last update. But you'll have to wait till thursday, because I'm taking a day off on wednesday.

Kind regards and sorry for the delay,

[I always get the firmware updates together with the software updates for RSLogix5000.]

Hmmm... you must get different CDs than I do, I have never received "SLC500" firmware updates on my RSLogix5000 CDs.

I have also looked on the RSUpdates CDs, which you receive if you are in the toolkit program & it is not there either. I still think you have to go through your distributor or Rockwell/GMS.

Darren

You're right Darren. After reading you reply I've realised the firmware updates I receive are for CompactLogix and come together with the RSLogix5000 updates. It's only one zero more, but it indeed does make a huge difference.

I shouldn't be posting this late, I'm alrady half asleep. It's 23:14 here for the moment. Guess I better call it a day and go to sleep.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Kind regards,

I have personally flashed a SLC5/05, so it is possible. That is why I think you have to get it from them, it depends on the age of the processor & which processor as to how you ACTUALLY upgrade it.

Darren

Yeah the SLC upgrades for the 5/03 and 5/04 are in the form of a EEPROM. They actually go in the same slot where the EEPROM would reside. So they are obviously purchased items. But the good news is that one upgrade chip can be used to upgrade multiple controllers.

The 5/05 is a software flash. I didn't see a part # for this but my bet is that this is purchased too. Maybe someone can confirm one way or the other. I've done the upgrade I just don't know if we purchased it or not.

OG

I can't confirm that you have to buy SLC firmware, but most likely "yes", as you have to buy any PLC5 firmware.

PLC5 FW depends on series and model of PLC5 - some you will get 3 ICs, some combo 1 IC and flash. 1785-ENET is flash only, but still has to be purchased.

Latest PLC5s has EEPROM chip soldered to the DH+ board, so they are not field upgradable at all.

The only FREE firmware is for LOGIX family and available at www.ab.com

I guess that makes sense then. I once flashed a Micrologix 1200. I thought 5/03-5/05 would also be available for download.

Thanks for setting me straight once again (I love this site).

The firmware updates are currently available at no charge for certain software/firmware revs. You get 1 plug in (eeprom) and 5 os/firmware upgrade labels for the SLC in question. I have the info at work as to to which combination is under "support". If you call your distributer they have the list but I'll post what info I have when I get back on Friday (or I'll swing by the office and grab it in the AM Eastern time).

Sorry this took so long

Free firmware updates are for

slc 5/03 (8k 16k) os302 series c frn 5, 6 and 7
slc 5/04 (16k, 32k, 64k) os401 series c ffrn 5,6,7
slc 5/05 (16, 32, 63) os 501 seies c frn 5,6,7

Either from the factory as listed above or if they were field upgraded to any of the above.

Firmware upgrades are
1747-os302 (5/03)
1747-os401 (5/04)
1747-du501

All series c frn 8

Marc

PS contact ab tech support 440-646-3223

Marc,

It seems you have to purchase the firmware upgrade kit 1747-DU501 in order to update the firmware for a 5/05. So how can the firmware updates be free?

Randy

RTA 53

I called the number listed above, and I got upgrade kits for both 5/03 and 5/04 processors for free. Perhaps the 5/05 requires purchase (I didn't need any 5/05 upgrades) but more likely, if you have a processor that is not covered by the free update (the ones I listed of the series and firmware revisions) then they may charge, but, if it is a covered processor, it's free.

The upgrades I got were free of any charge.

Hope this helps

Marc