Control AB Drive with Automation Direct PLC

mjp123

I have a customer that had an integrator come in and try to setup a small system using Automation Direct P3-550 CPU. The drives are AB Powerflex 70. He ended up not knowing what the hell he was doing and left them with the whole system being run by an operator with manual switches. I've got most of the stuff up and running like it should and now i'm getting to the drives. I'm not sure if I need to add an analog output or if I can control them over ethernet. Can the Automation Direct control these drives using explicit messaging? The integrator that set this system up to run like this but then told them this wasn't possible. I don't have much experience with Automation Direct products but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

AD added Ethernet/IP to the PAC line of cpu's (late 2014.)
Link on the AD forum.

Be sure that you update the firmware (v1.1.15.97 or later) and system software (v1.10.0.11 or later)