macros not loading on allen bradley panelview 1500

drummin89

Im having an issue with a factorytalk view ME application file for a panelview plus 1500 and its related to macros.

This is the first time I am editing this particular application file, it was originally created by the OEM and I'm trying to add more functionality. Also the first time having to deal with macros though I understand how they are supposed to work.

There are 5 simple macros and all 5 just simply set SystemMemory\UserLevel to different integer values. The macros are tied to the logins and give access to various screens depending on who logged in. Its using visibility and looking for the value of SystemMemory\UserLevel is greater or equal to some number. At startup it runs the lowest security level macro.

The original application works fine, and at startup I see it post a message stating "running startupmacro" right before it loads the graphics. startupmacro is one of the macros

The application I edited does not display this and I get messages that the various macros failed to load.

I also get a message about tag SystemMemory\UserLevel has not been activated.

Also because of the original application being created on the OEMs system I had to create new logins that are tied to the same macros.

We had a backup file from the OEM that had the .mcr (macros) files and I imported them in still with no luck.

The MER file is version 4.

Last edited:
Any idea what my issue might be?

I tried creating a new variable for the user access level in system memory and getting rid of the old. I created all new macros and deleted the old. Used different names. Its still giving me the same messages just with the new variable names.

Could it be a user or group policy issue. Maybe access needs to be setup so system memory can be accessed?

are you sure that the macros are working?try testing with emulator and test runtime application in pc. the mer file created might not have included the macros.(verify by restoring the .mer file)

userlevel not activated or not found in the logix path?check the comms and the tag database if it has userlevel defined.

I can test the application on my PC and I don't get any macros errors. I can log in and the different buttons to access certain screens becomes visible.

In order to test the restored .mer file I had to first save the mer as a version higher than 4. When I tested the restored version it worked as well, no issues logging in. No macros errors.

I'm thinking of grabbing a spare panelview out of stock and trying to load the application on it.

Still having trouble with this.

I setup a test PLC and panelview, the same that is out in the field. I continue to get messages when trying to log in that it cannot write the values. This time it is displaying that its loading the startup macro which it does. For instance it says "Problem writing value 'DEFAULT' to item 'SystemUser'. Also getting that it cannot write the value to the system memory variable I created for the access level. I get "SystemMemory\AccessLevel = 0 failed: unable to write to the tag" and "Write to SystemMemory\AccessLevel failed"

check topic shortcut which is the communications in the PV and logix. I cant identify the error since you dont post the whole error message/ the error message doesnt say much. It might be due to firmware issues. try using a v5 in a version 5 capable PV since you converted it to v5 then made a v4 mer file.