wireless network

Charbel

Dear,

Contractor is asking me if he can use UHF radio in the airport sending data between pump monitoring system. radio is selectable between 430 and 470MHZ,

I think his range is not within IEEE or ISA100 allowable range.
first, his selected frequency should not interfere with the airport frequency and second, he should select it based on approved standards from IEEE or ISA100.

Any thoughts on this?

thank you!

charbel

Should be okay.
There are bands reserved for Industrial use. (ISM - Industrial, Scientific, Medical). Most common is
2.45 GHz, the frequency of a microwave oven, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.
Lower frequencies have benefits, mostly longer range.
Common are 915 MHz for USA, and 433 MHz for Europe.
Tell them to select 433.920 MHz, in the ISM band.

Wiki

Dear keithkyll,

Thank you for the information, I think you spotted it right. But I am little worried about this frequency that it has an availability as Region 1 only and subject to local acceptance (within the amateur radio 70 cm band). Region 1 covers middle east where the airport is located but the amateur radio 70cm might interfere. What do you think about 2.4ghz or 5ghz which are applicable worldwide?

There are restrictions on the distance from an airport where
not only the 2.4 ghz channels can be used, but 5 ghz frequencies as well.

I think its 1.5 miles, I am at home and do not have access to that information.
The plant where I work is within that range and we have to be careful with the channel frequencies we use.

regards,
james