Programming a PLC5

Surefire

Where I work we have a PLC5 rack running a program looking after some HV switchgear. The programmer is a huge beast of a machine and no one seems to know how to use it with any confidence.

I was wondering if it is possible to use a modern laptop or PC running Windows XP to program the PLC5.

We do have a licensed copy of RSLogix500 which we currently use to program SLC500's elsewhere on site and was thinking that this might be up to the job.

We also have a spare AB communication box (sorry can't remember the correct name) which may be useful.

Thanks for any responses

You will need to purchase RsLogix5 to program the PLC5 from a laptop. I have never used one of the hand held programmers but I can imagine what it is like to use šŸ™ƒ
I would go ahead and buy the software. I am sure it is not cheap but if you are going keep the PLC5 it would be a good way to go.

Yes handheld is a bit of an understatement. The one we have is the size of small desk and weighs about the same as a 12 year old child.

Any idea where I can purchase RsLogix5. I thought I read somewhere that AB no longer supply it.

What is the complete catalog number of your PLC5?

You may need additional hardware to get connected with a PC/Laptop.

Another approach might be better

SoftPLC Corp still sells their PLC-5 programming software, but you might want to consider upgrading the PLC-5 to a SoftPLC controller (I/O stays the same). They import the logic into their modern CPU that you can use with current software. The cost of the SoftPLC, programming software and conversion are less than the cost of RSLogix5. Their software uploads from the PLC-5 directly, so you don't need the PLC-5 software.

http://softplc.com

Post the model and rev numbers. There are several versions of PLC5. One of the older ones takes a SPECIAL cable. I have it in a PDMCIA version. I obtained mine on eBay. My rep informed me a few years ago that PLC5 would be around for a while. The US Government told AB-ROCKWELL they would let them know when to quit supporting them. They are in use in a lot of the old missile silos and are needed until they are upgraded.