Slc-5/03

ladderlogix

Hi,
I'm using a 10 slots-rack with an SLC-5/03 as processor and four (I/O 12), three (I/A 16) and one NI4.
The power supply is a 1746-P4.
When I power up the system, I have fault on the processor.
Could any one know why?
Thanks

have you configured the I/O list to match the I/O modules which are actually installed? ... unlike the PLC-5, an SLC system will fault unless the I/O list and the installed hardware match up ...

suggestion: first go online temporarily just to make sure that you have your communications set up correctly ... then go offline but leave the cable connected ... then click the I/O Configuration icon ... then click the Read I/O button and follow through with the operation prompts ... this should automatically populate the I/O list ... then download the modified program to the processor ... if your problem is what I think it is, then this should get you going ...

I'll assume you're using Logix500 as your programming software.

1 - Go to the window on the left and double-click on "Processor Status" under the "Controller" heading

2 - Go to the "Errors" tab on the window that opens up

3 - You will see a small frame with the description of the fault and, at the bottom of the left-hand column, the S:20 and S:21 status registers. These two tell you the file and rung that caused the error (assuming it was a software, not hardware, error)

You might have an indirect address pointing to a file location that doesn't exist. You might also have a default processor state, that is, no program in the processor.

Hi
I have stable red ligt flt.
I tried to communicat between the RSlinks and the processor, but I have the following message: "Failed to find the band and parity, check all cables and switch settings".
I'm using the same cable cable for long time. The red ligt fault is on with and without the cable attached?
I hope that can help to find the raison of the fault
Many thanks,
regards

Just like Jeffersonian said - it sounds like you have no program (the default program) in the processor. Assuming you have an off-line copy - download that to the processor and then try going on-line again.

Marc

Hi again,
When I trying to download, I have the following message:
No response from processor at the selected path/node!
DiagnosticStatus failed 0x4
thanks

I assume that you're using a serial port connection for communication ... if you can't talk to the processor, someone may have set the serial port to something other than "DF1" ... if nothing else works, you can try "killing" the processor to reset it back to its factory defaults ... this might help:

Knowledgebase article on resetting SLC processors

is this something you're just learning on ... or is it a production system? ... it would be a good idea to give us all of the details up front ...

msinclair said:
Just like Jeffersonian said - it sounds like you have no program (the default program) in the processor. Assuming you have an off-line copy - download that to the processor and then try going on-line again.

Marc

I think that's the problem. It would explain the loss of his programming channel's setup. I would add that he'll need to get back into RSLinx and do a find parameters to set up his PIC or serial port again, then change it back to his previous setting after downloading the application.

You said you have a "stable red light" which usually means a fatal processor fault (which means you have a paperweight that looks like a PLC). Is this a new processor? If so, using the link Ron mentioned should help. If it's a used processor you might get out your wallet.

Edit: A BLINKING red light means no program is present or there's a recoverable fault. If you see red--better hope it's blinking!

Last edited:
Rube's right, that processor is "bricked". Try to reset by clearing memory, but if that doesn't work hope the processor is new and still under warranty.

No response from processor at the selected path/node!

What are you using to communicate with the PLC? Do you have RSLinx setup properly. That message could mean that RSLinx is trying to use the wrong driver. If you are using a serial cable make sure it is a null modem cable (AB part # 1747-CP3) and that you have selected DF-1 as the communications driver. If you are trying to "download" to the PLC it should come up with the message that you cannot download to a faulted PLC, and you must clear the error first. It sounds like from the quote above that your not even getting connected. Try using RSWHO to find the PLC. Even faulted the PLC should show up in the "WHO" tree. Then use the comms tab/RSWHO in RSLogix500 to direct the application to the right path. If you are using a 1747-PIC that uses a different driver, and you must select that driver from the pulldown list in RSLinx

Last edited:
Rube and LJBMatt are right. If the light is solid red its "bricked" stop trying to talk to it. (Kinda like beating a dead horse.) Attempt to reset the processor by following the instructions in your AB manual and pray that it wakes up. IF it wakes up with no fault lights or a blinking light THEN try to communicate with it.

Thanks for all your replies.
I tested the same processor using the same cable 1747-cp3 ser. A, with a second 10 slots rack and different I/O modules. Every thing works perfectly.
I know that the problem is coming from the rack or from one of the I/O modules. but I cannot find it.
Again thanks for your suggestion,
with best regards

I'm going to be very curious what the problem was Ladderlogix. AB support told me a solid red LED means a hard, irrecoverable failure. Was the red LED blinking? If not, I have a processor I want to recover so can you tell me what you did?