Factory Talk View SE - Make display appear when a bit is true

bboytaktix

Good afternoon all,

I am new to this forum but have been working in Automation for several years now. I am by no means an expert yet but I think I am on my way there (hopefully!) I browse the forum regularly for answers but I have a question I could not find the answer to.

I would like one of my Factory Talk View display windows to appear on top of all the others as long as a certain bit in my PLC is true, and close as soon as the bit becomes false. Is there any specific way to do this? It is basically a warning for operators when they are running on the plant's generator power.

thank you all in advance for your help!

Using Global connection

Try using Global connection...
Assign an integer tag to remote display which will change equal to its display value and set to 0 to free display changeable from Graphic...

Try using an Event for the tag on, and one for the tag off.
Make sure it stays on in the PLC though for a measurable portion of time.

Very true, I will try this! We actually are using an Event for another type of warning in one of our pages. Thank you for your help! I will let you know how it goes.

So my problem now is similar to this:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=52225

I looked into the 'fix' they suggested but I am not sure if it will solve my problem. Basically I want this page to appear on top of all other pages when my bit is activated in the PLC, and disappear/close when the bit is not active. The Rockwell knowledgebase says the display must always be loaded? Also I am not sure where would be the appropriate place to put the string, since the operators could open or close any of the pages at any time.

bboytaktix:
"Page must be always loaded" means that the page must be cached and the VBA script that change displays must be in that page. That means VBA script is running all the time and every time that bit is on your chosen display will appear. Send me a PM with your email and I will send you my vba script.

bboytaktix:
"Page must be always loaded" means that the page must be cached and the VBA script that change displays must be in that page. That means VBA script is running all the time and every time that bit is on your chosen display will appear. Send me a PM with your email and I will send you my vba script.

PM sent! thanks

Try using an Event for the tag on, and one for the tag off.
Make sure it stays on in the PLC though for a measurable portion of time.

This does not work in SE.

You can't run a "Display" command from an Event File - because it won't know what client side to execute it on.

Here is from an earlier post I made:

===
It depends what you want to do.

You can run an EVENT file that will execute things "globally" (from the server). However, lots of commands CANT be ran - because they don't know where to execute. Example - "Display XYZ" can NOT be ran from an EVENT file because it doesn't know where to execute.

Generally I have a "background" screen that runs on all clients that is cached and running in the background.

To your startup macro add the following:

Display BackgroundScreen /ZA

Then have all of your code on the BackGroundScreen.

Hope that helps.
===

On the BackGroundScreen, have a Numeric Display that points to the PLC Tag.

Expose the Numeric Display to VBA Code

Have your code say:

Code:
Private Sub NumericDisplay1_Change()
On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

If Not IsError(NumericDisplay1.Value) Then

If (NumericDisplay1.Value = 0) Then
        ExecuteCommand ("Display Name_Of_Window")
    End If

End If

ErrorHandler:
Exit Sub
End Sub

This does not work in SE.

You can't run a "Display" command from an Event File - because it won't know what client side to execute it on.

Here is from an earlier post I made:

===
It depends what you want to do.

You can run an EVENT file that will execute things "globally" (from the server). However, lots of commands CANT be ran - because they don't know where to execute. Example - "Display XYZ" can NOT be ran from an EVENT file because it doesn't know where to execute.

Generally I have a "background" screen that runs on all clients that is cached and running in the background.

To your startup macro add the following:

Display BackgroundScreen /ZA

Then have all of your code on the BackGroundScreen.

Hope that helps.
===

On the BackGroundScreen, have a Numeric Display that points to the PLC Tag.

Expose the Numeric Display to VBA Code

Have your code say:

Code:
Private Sub NumericDisplay1_Change()
On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

If Not IsError(NumericDisplay1.Value) Then

If (NumericDisplay1.Value = 0) Then
        ExecuteCommand ("Display Name_Of_Window")
    End If

End If

ErrorHandler:
Exit Sub
End Sub

This makes sensem I will try this as well and see how it works. Thanks again for all the help.

Yes I saw thank you both!

I used the VBA script and expanded on it, and it does exactly what I need. I made it close when a second bit is true, so basically when our plant generator is the power source, the warning appears, and as soon as the power source is switched back to the main breaker, the warning disappears. Now, not only are we able to use this approach for my current project, but we have thought up some other very critical uses for it.

Thank you all for your help, I truly appreciate it!