instrumentation control pilosophy

Off the top of my head, instrumentation philosophy might include things like
- analog 4-20mA to include NAMUR level fail-safe/fault indication
- analog inputs configured to read NAMUR level fail-safe fault indication
- series diode to be installed (at wiring terminal location) for each 4-20mA loop for current loop check
without breaking the loop
- HART protocol to be specified/used/purchased when available
- specification for a fieldbus protocol (Profibus, ASI, Foundation Fieldbus) for instrumentation
- limitations on technologies:
- ultrasonic level technology for open channel flow only, no covered tanks or pressure vessels
- standardized hazardous area technology: EXP vs I/S (containment vs energy level)
- remote capillary seals as last resort for gauge or DP measurements
- use of crimp ferrules, or not
- location of instrumentation transformer (with a view to regulations involving arc flash)
- whether the presence of fluids other than instrument air in a control panel is permitted
- standardization of engineering units, like temperature, pressure, flow
- Ban on materials that are detrimental to a process (brass for ammonia, silicone in the automotive field)
- handwheel on valves
- tag format

the list is by no means complete, it's just off the top of my head at lunch time.

you wrote a statement, not a question...

you might want to explain what you need it for, what are you trying to do?
That is why the question marks - no detail as to what you require.

OK now I have to ask. Did Badger really give dginbuffalo a yacht? and what's the ETA from the UK to Buffalo, via the pond, St. Lawrence then to Lake Erie I guess

my two cents worth

. . that series diode is most useful, but I am adding to the thread to promulgate an old navy saying...

. . the only constant is the varying rate of change.

bill