Replacing WonderWare

Stig

I am looking at replacing a system ran off an older version of WW. The current setup is a PC running old WW, communicating with a PLC5 (that's the easy part to comm to), the PC also uses WW to comm to an older ORMEC Gen3 Model40 servo drive.

I would like to replace the WW PC with a RedLion Panel. As stated before, comm and control of the PLC5 is not an issue, I just need to know how to comm and control with the ORMEC Motion controller. Also what Redlion Panel would be capable of it?

Any ideas would be helpful. All of my experiences with wonderware systems keep adding to my opinion that it is a garbage system no matter how highly rated they may be.

All of my experiences with wonderware systems keep adding to my opinion that it is a garbage system no matter how highly rated they may be.

To each their own.

In my experience, those who hate or feel strongly against a system often times just don't understand how it's supposed to work, or try to force it conform to how they THINK it should work.

Lack of training and understanding would make anybody hate any software system.

OP, I can't help you but I can tell you I'm "so-over" WW too ;) Probably best just to call RedLion to see if they can point you to the right direction.

To each their own.

In my experience, those who hate or feel strongly against a system often times just don't understand how it's supposed to work, or try to force it conform to how they THINK it should work.

While this is true to some extent, it is also true that years of valid experience bring one to the conclusion: "It's 2015 things should be much easier than they are, I've got better things to do than deal with....(insert roadblock here)".

I assume the OP is talking about an older version of InTouch, when you talk about a platform that was originally conceived 25+ years ago it will have limitations, and there are better solutions.

Like Paully said, it comes from years of working with it and knowing there are better and easier ways, another example is I hate AB's Panelviews, they are clunky, limited capability compared to others, and WAY overpriced. I have RedLion's sitting on the shelf pre-programmed just waiting to drop in when the Panelviews go out. But I really like AB's PLC's, Drives, and hardware. We all just have our own preferences from education and experience with systems. Some people swear up and down about WonderWare and others just swear at it.

You can download the Red Lion software (crimson) for free, and try it out to connect with the motion controller. Even try sending them an email for help (post back here if they do).

I am looking at replacing a system ran off an older version of WW. The current setup is a PC running old WW, communicating with a PLC5 (that's the easy part to comm to), the PC also uses WW to comm to an older ORMEC Gen3 Model40 servo drive.
How is WW communicating with the Servo drive?
Will assume it is serial, but there must be an IOServer of some description?
Does the Ormec support Modbus RTU, that would be the easiest option.

To each their own.

another point that can be made is that often times people only work with one software and after learning enough just assume that the particular software they work with is the best.

All of my experiences with wonderware systems keep adding to my opinion that it is a garbage system no matter how highly rated they may be.
Interesting comment. Not to jump on the WW promotion, but surely there must be something fundamentally wrong for this comment to be justified?
A similar thing could be said with Devicenet, many people did not follow the correct install procedures, got burnt with issues, then blamed it on the product. There are many installs that the product/software gets blamed, but often it is the implementation.

To each their own.

This is so true. Learning & then mastering any new software takes time. We become so familiar with doing things the way we first learnt, that when something new comes along, we try to do it the same way, without using the correct tool or method that would be better suited.

Every time I have dealt with WW, it has been on existing systems that were there before my time. The program itself is not hard to figure out, but I feel that issues with it can be more complex, example, you have the WW software itself, usually ran on a PC (another system), running on an operating system (Windows, and we all know how troublesome Windows can be at times), then communicating to a PLC. An HMI-PLC combo on the other hand has an operating system integrated directly into the HMI without all the garbage that typical OS's that PC's have, communicating directly to the PLC. HMI-PLC systems are a more direct and specific link. Where as a PC-OS-SW-HW-PLC link adds more variables to troubleshoot or fail. With a more direct route there is less that can go wrong. I'm sure we all have had experiences with the old AB Panelviews that used a windows OS built into the panel.

As for Commandos comment, I understand and can troubleshoot most WW issues. I learned to program on Idec, Omeron, Siemens, Automation Direct, Fanuc, etc etc. I dislike the prices of AB, I think they are way over priced on everything, but they are extremely common in the field so I had to learn them as well.

like I said, we all have our preferences when it comes to systems. If you like WW, by all means stick with it. However this was not suppose to be a thread about defending/bashing someones preference, and I don't want it turn that way (yes I know I kinda started those flames when I called it garbage).

I was simply wondering if anybody know what protocols Ormec Uses to comm with, and If anybody knew if RedLion is compatable with it.

Last edited:
I was simply wondering if anybody know what protocols Ormec Uses to comm with, and If anybody knew if RedLion is compatable with it.
You should be able to get the existing comm's method from the WW application.
Do you know how to do this? if not, are you able to send a copy of the application so we can assist.

Looks like diat150 bet me too it, but of course that would have to be confirmed by Stig.

That was exactly what I was looking for Dait150, thanks! This will be a new and fun adventure trying to figure out how to get them all working together.

This is an old machine, one of the earliest versions of WW, the portioning machine looks like it was build during the Spanish inquisition. Company wont replace it because of low annual hourly use but it seems like we always spend 1-3 days waking it up out of hibernation, and 90% of the time its with control system issues.

That was exactly what I was looking for Dait150, thanks! This will be a new and fun adventure trying to figure out how to get them all working together.
Please trust me, knowing how the existing configuration is done will help immensely!
You should be able to extract the information from the WW application, this will be the best starting point.

What version of WW are you talking about..?