NEMA buttons/indicators in high ice environment

einnh

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone installed AB 30mm H/T series buttons in a high ice environment? How well do they hold up?

Thanks,

Eric

What cover did you use to shield the buttons?

I was actually thinking of having a canvas cover made for the buttons when not in use ... think grill/boat cover type plastic/canvas material. Removed when machine is in use.

On the 800H buttons (use the NEMA 4 versions, 800T are indoor), you can get various button covers. The material you use depends on the environment, any chemical exposures etc. I liked using the EPR (Ethylene Propylene Rubber) versions, they are impervious to just about everything you can throw at them, and remain very flexible in extreme cold. I did a lot of work at a sausage packing plant where they were mixing a lot of spices into the meat, and many spices are highly corrosive. The EPR boots were the only ones that lasted a long time, plus it would get very very cold in there, and they didn't get stiff.

But if they are outdoors, then go with the Silicon boots, they don't break down from UV exposure. The standard boots that come on the 800H are made of Chlorosulinated Polypropylene and are pretty good all around, but they tend to get a little stiff in extreme cold.

We use the 800H in our cago hold (-40 degree)
The boots on the buttons get so stiff at that temperature that you cannot even push the button, so we had to remove the boots for this application.

If you are at a higher temp than that they may be ok for your use.

They hold up pretty good on our crane starters on deck, that are in a freezing, icy, outdoor enviroment half the year.
I have to change out the boots about every 2 years or so due to wear.

BCS

Most panel manufacturers (Hoffman, Saginaw, etc.) offer hinged window kits that bolt on to the front of the panel. They all also offer heaters and thermostats for mounting inside the enclosure. I've used them outdoors successfully in places like North Dakota. Get the metal type, as operators will bang them to break the ice loose. I've also used deadfront panels with windows when the kits weren't deep enough.

See page 4 here. http://www.hoffmanonline.com/stream_document.aspx?rRID=104555&pRID=6244

use indeed a small heater inside not a lamp (it will break)
The ice will evaporate slowly keeping things tidy, the boots are a nasty one in the cold not found a good reliable one yet.