what is involved with virtual machine

realolman

I have been having fits trying to convert from an XP laptop to a WIN 7 . I have WIN 8.1 at home, and it will be the end of me if I ever have to go to that at work.

These are corporate computers and they have big security on them... what exactly is involved in terms of money, trouble and advantages to put a virtual machine on them.

Truthfully, I don't even know what I am talking about for sure when I use that phrase.

thank you

Purchase VM Software (Free - $120)(Estimate Price depending on what you buy)

Install VM Software

Install the OS you want to use on your VM (you will need original disk or ISO file to do this)

Start using your VM

Its fast easy and very simple, the most expensive part is getting a licensed copy of the OS. (Windoze) If your company is like mine they already own many Enterprise copies of the OS.

Check out VMWare website, I think you can download for free as a trial to play with it on you home computer.

BCS

I have been having fits trying to convert from an XP laptop to a WIN 7 . I have WIN 8.1 at home, and it will be the end of me if I ever have to go to that at work.

These are corporate computers and they have big security on them... what exactly is involved in terms of money, trouble and advantages to put a virtual machine on them.

Truthfully, I don't even know what I am talking about for sure when I use that phrase.

thank you

I'm no expert either but my PC (Windows 7 Pro) has Windows Virtual PC on it and I run an XP virtual machine for an old piece of Mitsubishi HMI software. I installed it so long ago I can't remember the details but I certainly didn't pay anything.

Oracle's VirtualBox is free. Download it, install it, and follow the setup wizard to create a virtual machine - then install the OS and other software just like you would if it was an actual computer. You can find Youtube videos and tutorials on the web.

Couple things:

1. If you have Windows 7 PRO has your host OS, you can run an "XP Mode" VM without issue as Windows 7 Pro includes this "XP mode" license.

2. If you don't have Windows 7 Pro as your host, any VM you create will require a LICENSE as if it's any other computer. Your company may have volume licensing agreements in place, and they should be able to license your VM operating system w/o much issue. However, if you don't have that luxury, licensing VM's could be a challenge.

I haven't had any luck with the free virtual machines. I have used VM Ware workstation for the PC and Fusion for Mac and they have always worked for me. Even with Siemens and Rockwell software on the same virtual machine.
VM Ware has a program that can make a .vhdx of a running machine so it is easy to get started.

When you run a virtual machine (computer), think of it as an actual computer.
You have your physical computer right in front of you (host) and then you have a VM running on the same hardware. Two computers running on one hardware; in general that requires double the hardware resources.

Any VM that you use will need these three things (in order of priority):
1) RAM
Don't go less than 2GB per virtual machine, plus your actual PC. More is better.
Ex. if you are hosting two VMs then you need 6GB of RAM.

2) CPU
A fast processor helps a lot. But this is more dependent on what you are doing with your VM and host PC at the same time.

3) Hard drive space
Minimum of 40GB per VM. Installing another copy of Windows/?OS and software will take space. You will also want to use snapshots and cloning. Snapshots save points in time for your VM; you can go back to any snapshot undoing all files changes. Cloning will duplicate a VM to create another one.
More HD space is helpful but only if you plan on installing large software programs or use large/many data files.