Ethernet monitoring for EP210

bboytaktix

I have a quick question, not sure if anyone is able to help or not.

We are using the following Ethernet device on our loading racks (an RFID card reader);

http://www.computerwise.com/ethernet/ep210.html

I would like to monitor this Ethernet device as we do all our other Ethernet drives, switches, etc. and I will be using a Generic Ethernet Module in the RSLogix structure along with the GSV 'EntryStatus' method to monitor it. However, my issue is, I do not know the connection parameters for this device (input, output, configuration) when adding the generic Ethernet module card to my rslogix5000 structure. The product site gives no insight either. Is there any values I can put that would make this work without errors?

Thanks in advance for your help. Let me know if there is anything I need to clarify.

I don't think that device supports Ethernet/IP, like your standard drives, IO, etc. It looks like you need to send it ASCII information over TCP/IP (I think that is the MSG command in Logix?). It looks like the device does have some physical inputs and outputs, so you may be able to hook them up to some existing IO cards you have, and control it that way.

In looking to monitor you devices and Ethernet, you may want to consider doing so through SNMP.

Kepware offers a driver for just such a function:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/snmp.htm

Documentation is provided through the link above, should you need to know more about SNMP.

It is priced based on the number of devices you would be monitoring.

Disclosure - ESI is an authorized Kepware distributor.

Hey guys,

thanks for the help. We use GEC cards to gather the data from those units, and so I realized that we cannot connect directly to them with the PLC; we found another way via monitoring of the GEC cards to monitor those units exactly how we wanted.

thanks again!