New laptop / New Hotness

The Plc Kid

Got a new laptop in the other day http://us.msi.com/product/nb/GT80-Titan-SLI-GTX-980M-SLI.html#hero-specification

It's really a gaming machine but works well for field work running multiple VM's.

It's around $3200.00 as is and I just pimped mine out by changing the 128 GB SSD's to 256 RAID 0 and I changed the mechanical 1TB drive to a 1 TB SSD to run my my VM's on.

It has 32 GB of memory so it can handle several VM's running at once and I love the mechanical keyboard.

It's a 9 lbs baby so not a lite machine but has all the HP you need.

Thought I would share for anyone looking for a new high end machine.

🍻

Very Nice! Our computer lease has expired so we just made the decision on the next laptop for us.

Current Machine: Dell Precision m6600, 16GB ram, primary 256 GB SSD, secondary 512 GB drive. Was excellent for VMs and quite frankly could easily go another 2+ years without slowing down.

New Machine: Dell Precision m4800, better CPU, same ram, 1 TB SSD storage, not too much different than the m6600. I chose to downsize to the 15" screen, the 17" of the m6600 plus the monster brick power supply was starting to be very annoying while traveling. Hoping I'll notice a big difference in the m4800 in this aspect. It's about a 50/50 split in our department between the m4800 and going to the m6800.

Last edited:
SLI video cards for programming?? I hope you are going to put something on that monster to put that setup to good use, especially since a good portion of that money went into the video.

Jeebus, that is something else! Did you pick that up personally or is your company footing the bill? That is 1337. I'd rock freecell so hard on that.

I bet. Your company roxxorz! I had my first laptop for 6 1/2 years. My new one has 8gb of ram, they wanted me to run 32 bit W7 because the virtual machine and extra Windows license was too expensive. (I'm probably in trouble now)

...My new one has 8gb of ram, they wanted me to run 32 bit W7 because the virtual machine and extra Windows license was too expensive. (I'm probably in trouble now)

brrrup...What? I suppose they had to make a choice. Either have an extra windows license, or 4gb of ram you can't use.

That is great, and a very nice machine!

As for your company, they know how to take care of their valuable assets. ;-)

That's not a laptop, that's a portable desktop.
Pretty badass.
I was about to question gaming on a laptop but with you traveling makes perfect sense.

I also have a gaming laptop but it is little over a year old so it is a bit behind but still does pretty good, WoW isn't the best test I play it on full graphics quite often with half the hardware lol, between our two systems the thing where you would see the biggest difference is from the HD's I have standard ones, didn't want to spend the extra at the time for SSD's.