Can I do this without the use of a Viscometer?

piscis

Can I do this without the use of a Viscometer?

Our company is building a new machine for the Bakery industry. We need to mix an Icing ingredient until its Viscosity reaches 1,300 centipoises.

We do not have the budge to shell out $7,000 and up for a Viscometer.

Question:
Is there another way to monitor the Icing mixing process in which it turns from a liquid solution to the a Viscosity almost like Whip Cream? I need to command the mixer to stop when this Viscosity is reached.

Does anyone have any solution?

Thanks

Andy

I'm sure there are others MUCH MORE qualified to give an answer but ... would the mixer motor current be an indication of the viscosity? Can this be monitored and would it be a sufficiently accurate indicator?

In our ice cream scrape freezers we use the current draw on the dasher moters (scrappers) to determine the viscosity of our ice cream as it leaves the freezing tubes. This input is fed into the SLC5/04 and used there to control the refrigeration valves and give us a viscosity readout.

Power is better

Current draw is not an accurate method to indicate motor loading. It is very easy to have errors as large as 15%. Current is great if the motor loading is constant and if the utility voltage is stable.

Power draw is much more accurate.

Remember as the supply voltage goes down the current goes up but the power drawn remains the same. So with power we don't have to worry what the actual facility voltage is at any one point in time. Also very lightly loaded motors have very poor power factors, which also affect the current drawn. I have seen currents decrease as the motor was loaded until the power factor "caught up".

I have no idea what centipoises are, but would it be possible to use a paddle operated switch on the mixer that made when the icing thickened enough to cause the paddle to move? It seems ham fisted, but usually the cheaper ways are. And if it works, you can just say you were keeping it simple. :)

Use a torque meter they work much better.

We have tried em all and this is the way to go.

We mix plastic not frosting but the theory is exactly the same.

You can buy the whole setup that can interface to a plc much cheaper than 7K.

Check the site, they are a great company that we have dealt with for a long time.

http://www.himmelstein.com/

ChuckM said:
I have no idea what centipoises are

That's easy. A centipoise is 100 poises... :D

Now, what's a poise?... :unsure:

Poise: A centimeter-gram-second unit of dynamic viscosity equal to one dyne-second per square centimeter.

Nope, I'm still lost... :rolleyes:

beerchug

-Eric

No Eric,

centi is "divide by 100" so 1 centipoise = 0.01 poise
Just like 1cm is not 100m and one cent is not $100
(so many times I wish it wa$$$$$...).

Last edited:
I have used a counterpoise on Ham and Commercial antennas from time to time as a substitute for a good ground. But it was just a piece of wire.

So, my question is...

"Do you use a counterpoise to measure the number of poises to get to a centipoise?"

Also...

"How much is a centipoise worth?'

If there were inquiring minds, IF, they eould want to know.

casey

panic mode said:
No Eric,

centi is "divide by 100" so 1 centipoise = 0.01 poise
Just like 1cm is not 100m and one cent is not $100

Um, yeah, you're right, Panic... šŸ™ƒ

Damn you, metric system... :rolleyes:

beerchug

-Eric