Factory Talk Communications

bright676

I am having a hard time getting my PVP 1250 to communicate with with my 5/04.

When I was using PB32 I could go to the con fig screen to see what protocall it was using but Factory talk is getting to me.

I can write to my PVP 1250 from my pc. it is from the PVP to the 5/04 is cwhere I am having issues.

My set up;

1747-l541 I have it hooked up to a net-aic with a PM02 cable, the 9 pin d-sub is connected to a lap top for programming the 5/04 and a pv 600 regular that is connected to a 2nd net-aic that is jumped to the first net-aic through the phonix plugs.

Then the 2nd net-aic is connected to a 1746-net-eni ethernet interface device with an amoo cable. the ethernet cable from this is going to a desk top pc with Factory Talk.

in the Factory Talk communications for my project I can see the PVP I.P. and the ip for the net-aic is set to SLC processor with ethernet interface.

When i open rslogix and go to rswho i can see the panelview plus and the net-eni icons.

atatched is a screen shot of my pvp communication.

Any help is appreciated.
thanks

1250 com settings.jpg

Forgive me if I am pointing out the obvious, I am relatively new to Factory Talk also, and dont have my laptop in front of me to get my terminology correct.

But do you have the communication shortcut from the PV to your PLC set up correctly in RSlinx Enterprise and did you copy this from Design to Runtime?

BCS

Last edited:
Let me run get my laptop so I am looking at what I am talking about and I will try to walk you though it.

But I would almost bet someone else will chime in with the answer before I get back.

Is this a new or existing installation of this PV???

Be back in a few min.

BCS

I have my laptop open now but I see that Ken Roach is looking at this post right now.

He will be able to tell you in much greater detail and backed by MUCH more experience than I have.

Give it a couple Min and see if he responds to you.

If not then I will help you out.

BCS

You have a mix of connections and devices that are appropriate for DH485 and DF1 protocols, and you're going to need to un-tangle them.

• The SLC-5/04 can run DH485 or DF1 on its serial port.
  • The PanelView 600 Standard might be DH485 or DF1. You need to post the exact part number for that.
  • The 1761-NET-ENI can run only DF1 Full Duplex on its serial port.
  • The 1761-NET-AIC are RS-232 to RS-485 electrical signal converters only. I think they are working in this network only by coincidence.

While you can run the RSLinx Enterprise browser from channel-to-channel on a PanelView Plus, you cannot do runtime or upload/download comms to a controller over the software bridge inside PV+. It can get tempting because it shows a path, but that path is a rickety bridge and won't hold your weight.

Aside: I pulled an all-nighter, got some sleep and breakfast, and am headed back in, so I'm "unwinding" with PLCTalk. I won't have network access later today.

Trying different ways to do it, I just got the message on the PVP "PKTX: card isnow online-running DH-485 proto call

What do i need to do to get the pvp 1250 to communicate with the 504? the pv 600 i am not concerned with and can be set aside.

Does your PanelView Plus 1250 have a 2711P-RN6 card ? That's the PCI card in a carrier that bolts to the back, and supports RIO, DH+, and DH485 natively onboard. Unless that is present, don't mess with the drivers for it.

The way I would build this system is to connect the 1761-NET-ENI to the SLC-5/04 serial port at 38400 baud, DF1 point-to-point. The default settings on both ports, plus an ordinary 1761-CBL-PM02 cable, will make that connection work.

Then build an Ethernet network with a small Ethernet switch: connect your PC, the Net-ENI, and the PanelView Plus to it.

Benefits of that method:
  1. RSLogix will be able to go online to the SLC via RSLinx Classic.
  2. FactoryTalk View Studio will be able to browse the SLC via RSLinx Enterprise for online data table browsing and screen testing.
  3. FactoryTalk View will be able to download quickly and easily to the PanelView Plus over Ethernet.
  4. The PV+ will be able to communicate with the SLC-5/04 through the Net-ENI during runtime.
  5. You can use the ordinary Ethernet port on your computer and need no special cables.

Drawbacks of that method:
  1. The Net-ENI is slower than native Ethernet or native DF1.
  2. The Net-ENI has a limit of 4 incoming TCP connections. You will have only two, so you're OK.
  3. The PanelView Standard 600 cannot connect to this network.

Yes I have the RN6 module pluged in the back of the pvp 1250. I am also using a 24 port managed ethernet switch with all of this

I will give your way a try, thanks

Since you have a 2711P-RN6, you could connect the PV+ to the SLC-5/04's DH+ port. That would be fast and simple, and you'd just do your downloads to the PV+ over Ethernet or with a USB drive.

You could also connect the 2711P-RN6 to at DH485 network like the one you described before, but all the other devices would need to support DH485. That excludes the Net-ENI, and requires a 1747-UIC at the computer side. It may or may not exclude the PanelView Standard 600.

I still recommend the simplified Ethernet network I described above.

"Since you have a 2711P-RN6, you could connect the PV+ to the SLC-5/04's DH+ port. That would be fast and simple, and you'd just do your downloads to the PV+ over Ethernet or with a USB drive"

You put that in a lot better words than I ever could, but that is the set up I'm trying to do and it is just not working for me.

Thinking a little more about this I am thinking that I might be writing the tags wrong for the PVP. I wrote a tag to bit B3/3 which is a momentary switch. This is how I wrote it in the connections for the momentary switch {PV600_TAGS\Light_Off}

Is this the correct way to do it? I used the tag data base browser to get it, it is writing the way the regular pv 600 is.

Thinking further, I need to learn how to write the tags and leave the communications alone for now.

From FTVME you should be able to go to the controler online and just click on the tag you want to use.

If you know your comms are correct be it Dh485 or Df1 or whatever you are useing, then go to the Explorer Tree on the left and go down to RSLinx Enterprise and open it. Then select Communications Setup.
This will open a new window.
On the left side under Device Shortcuts, what do you see here?
Is there a shortcut to the controler listed that you yourself made and named?

If not then you need to make this shortcut and link it the the controler you want to use in order for the PV+ to communicate with said controler.
This is what I was talking about earlier, but of course as Ken Pointed out you need to make sure your Comm protocol is set up between the 2 devices correctly first.

BCS

Well I did some thing correct. the green light on the RN6 is finally flashing steady.

I need help writing a tag, should I start a new thread first?