Compactible Card

randy

Supporting Member
Today I had to replace a Compact output card. The card I replaced was 1769-OB16. I replaced it with a 1769-OB16P (Protecred). Will it stop running and the OK light was flashing red. After I reset the system I was able to go online and found that the card was not compatible and disable the key.

I would have thought that this replacement would have compatible...

Any feedback will appreciated

Rmonroe

I'm not a Logix5000 user, but if it is similar to Logix500, you need to change the I/O Configuration to the new card. For example, Logix500 has a selection for the 1762-OB8 and 1762-OA8. They're both 8 channel outputs, but yet both are listed in the I/O selection.

I would have thought that this replacement would have compatible...

Rmonroe

It would have been compatible, if
A) It was the SAME module. You replaced an OB16 with an OB16P. They are different modules, with different functions and data definitions.

B) Electronic Keying (on the module in the I/O tree) matches. For ControlLogix, that can be set to Disable keying, Compatible Keying, or Exact match. I think the only choice available on CompactLogix is Compatible Keying.

B) Electronic Keying (on the module in the I/O tree) matches. For ControlLogix, that can be set to Disable keying, Compatible Keying, or Exact match. I think the only choice available on CompactLogix is Compatible Keying.

CompactLogix has the option of Disable, Compatible and Exact Match keying, just like its big brother ControlLogix

*warning* student 2 cents to follow
IF I am not mistaken:
And you have the same major and minor rev levels, (say 20.03 and 20.03) in your processor AND the new module, you could go into the I O tree of your controller organizer, add the new module and select "exact match" OR select "compatible" if the major rev level is the same but the minor rev level is different. (say 20.03 and 20.01)

If you did, (or do) go into the I O tree and add the OB16P and delete or cut the OB-16, the keying should only HAVE to be disabled if major AND minor rev levels do not match. I would think but am absolutely not sure that the I O in the program would transfer OK? (same slot, same bit postions etc...)
I am a student and have only worked with imbedded I O, so I have no actual experience here; I only know that with my CPX mini software ver. 20 and 21, I have the exact match, compatible and disable keying options with the aforementioned requirements and capabilities.

Regards and good day

Last edited:
What a PITA! You have bought your software - it should just work

This has nothing to do with the software, it is replacing an output module with a completely different type of output module.

I wouldn't expect my gasoline IC engine to run if I swapped out the spark plugs for glow plugs.

Perhaps I am spoiled - bought the software - free upgrades on the net - includes all new cards, processors and the like. No annual fees - new major revision is about $750 AU - have not had to pay that for 3 years. It just works! Even when I install glow plugs! šŸ»

Randy,
You will need to save the PLC program, change the IO configuration in the program, and then download the new version of the program to the PLC.

Basically what you need to do is:

Go online.
Stop the process.
Click "SAVE" in RSLogix5000 and save the program
Go Offline.
In the RSLogix, "IO Configuration" tree, double click on the "1769-OB16" card
This will bring up the propertied window for this card. WRITE DOWN the "Name" of the card exactly
Write down the slot number.

Close the properties window and delete the "1769-OB16" card
In the "IO Configuration" Right Click on the "1768 Bus" and select "New Module..."

Find and select 1769-OB16P and click on "Create"
In the "New Module" window that pops up; fill in the module name exactly as was for the 1769-OB16.
Select the same slot number as the 1769-OB16
Click "Change" button in "Module Definition" and enter the Series and Revision.
This info is found on the white label on the side of the 1769-OB16P card.

Now click "SAVE AS" and save this Program with a DIFFERENT NAME.
Next you need to download this "new" program to the PLC and restart your process

Perhaps I am spoiled - bought the software - free upgrades on the net - includes all new cards, processors and the like. No annual fees - new major revision is about $750 AU - have not had to pay that for 3 years. It just works! Even when I install glow plugs! šŸ»

You have missed the point - the OP has installed a different module than the project was created for, making the configuration of his project different.

That's akin to swapping out your Petrol engine, installing a Diesel, and expecting it to run on your tank-full of petrol.

When you put an I/O module into the project configuration, it automatically creates the tags in the controller tag database for communication with that specific module.

If you change the module type, the tag configurations will be different, and the project i/o configuration needs to be updated to match the new module.

Apologies - misunderstood - does not pay to have a quick look and answer when writing loads of code! šŸ™ƒ