Altivar 312 VFD, can I just power logic side?

CapinWinky

I'm trying to configure Altivar 312 VFDs, but my safety circuit drops 3-phase input and currently that also causes the logic/communications to go down as well. All the documentation I've looked at seems to indicate the 24VDC on the drive is and output to provided a convenient source for the logic inputs. I'm wondering if I can back drive this to power the logic side of the drive without hurting it.

I'm just sitting on my hands right now since all the guard doors are open and I need to be troubleshooting a communications issue.

The safety circuit should not drops 3-phase input but only the power to Motors starters, Drives, Valves Etc. All the PLC inputs, communicatios etc. should maintain power.

@CapinWinky - Looking at the manual, I would say no. The 24VDC source on the terminal strip is internally protected and limited to provide up to 100mA out, so I seriously doubt you could backfeed it to power up the control board.

Good point, I would imagine there are some diodes in there that will prevent backfeed. I may still try it since we have a drive that may need to be RMAed anyway; if I do, I will report here.