Kinetix 6500 - CIPAxisState bit "0" - what sets it?

ricknegg

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,
I am in the commissioning stage of a retrofit using RSLogix 20.01.00, Control Logix 1756-L72, and Kinetix 6500 drives. We had this configuration working in our lab (wired properly), but having some issues with the shop installation. We are in the process of verifying the shop installation wiring, and this could very well be an issue.

The problem I am running into is that although the drives show no faults/errors - I am unable to turn the drive on with the MSO direct command and get the following error:16#0052 - Drive is not in the correct state to allow the current operation. The MSF, MASR, and MAFR will all execute with no errors.

I noticed that bit "0" of axisname.CIPAxisState is set to "1" [Unconnected], but have been unable find documentation as to what causes this bit to get set. Any ideas??

This is my first motion project so please excuse me if I am overlooking something very simple.

Thank You,

Rick
P.S. – I think this is a great site! I just upgraded my membership to lifetime, but it hasn’t taken effect yet apparently.

Make sure that your MSF command is not being scanned when you try to turn the servo on.

I would have to look up the bit in the manual to help any further, and I don't have the time at the moment. Maybe this evening.

CIPAxisState is an integer value, not bit level. It should be in the manual Motion-UM-003. Also, knowledge base article 69996 has more information if you can access it.

Thank You Jeremy!
So then a "1" would be Pre-charge - I will investigate further to see what that means.
This is the definition of Pre-charge State:
Pre-Charge State

The Pre-Charge state the device is waiting for the DC Bus to fully charge (DC Bus Up status bit is clear). Once the DC Bus reaches an operational voltage level (DC Bus Up status bit is set), the axis transition to the Stopped state. The drive’s power structure is always disabled in this state (Power Structure Enabled status bit clear). Any attempt for the controller to enable the drive via the Axis Control mechanism while it is in the Pre-charge state is reported back to the controller as an error in the Response Status and the axis remains in the Pre-charge state.
The Pre-Charge State is classified as an Identity Object Standby state and, therefore, requires that the associated drive power structure is disabled.

Again - Thanks!

Last edited:
I had the same issue. Trouble is I don't remember exactly how it emerged. I do remember it had something to do with what order the drives were turning on or when the MSO was being commanded. I ended up writing a sequencer to start all of the drives up in the correct sequence. It went a like this ......
Step:1 after safety circuit was enabled I executed a MGS (MAS)
Step:2 If a fault was present I executed a series of MAFR for all the drives.
Step 3: I executed a MSO for each drive

This seemed to prevent me from getting the Start sequence out of order. Hope it helps

Thank You Patfu,
Not sure there is a sequencing error as none of my logic is being executed relative to the drives. I have 480v power to the drives, they are turned on, and I am issueing Motion Dirct Commands for the Axis.

Like I mentioned - I had this all working just fine in my lab, but something appears to have changed when they moved it out to the shop.

So the equipment was physically moved, but the program didn't change? You might want to check the safe-torque off wiring.

Thanks for your replies Jeremy & Patfu - The problem ended up being one of the overtravel limit switches on the machine was being made which killed the 480 power to the drives.
Jeremy pointed me in the right direction by noting that axisname.CIPAxisState was an integer.
For some reason (perhaps old age) I had my mind made up that each individual bit meant something.
[ref Rockwell Publication Motion-RM003D-EN-P Chapter 2 Page 229] for a description of the axisname.CIPAxisState attribute]

Again - Thanks for the replies!