Compactlogix Hot Backup w/ Beckhoff Automation RIO

MSC

Lifetime Supporting Member
Planning a PLC system that use a pair of Rockwell Automation (RA) 5370 L3 CompactLogix PLCs, setup in a “hot backup” configuration, with seven (7) Beckhoff Automation (BA) Ethernet/IP Remote IOs. The BA remote IOs will consist of a BK9105 Bus Coupler and various quantities of KL1809 Digital Input Terminals, KL2809 Digital Output Terminals, KL3454 and KL 3458 Analog Input Terminals, and KL4424 Analog Output Terminals.

I understand the difference between RA redundant and hot backup solutions and have experience with CLX redundant systems. I have been through all the RA KB articles I can find and have searched the forums thoroughly but cannot find any information regarding what happens at the remote IO. There is some information that states a bump in outputs may be experienced and it is recommended to configure outputs to maintain their last state. RA literature also states which RA Ethernet/IP remote IO is supported, but does not identify the implications of using an unsupported RA or third-party Ethernet/IP remote IO.

Does anyone have experience with a similar system? My system can tolerate a bump in the analog and digital outputs with out any issues. My main concern is after a primary to secondary switchover occurs, will the controller to remote IO communications be restored and the remote IOs return to normal operation once the secondary has assumed the role of primary?

The following links are to some of the literature I referenced above.

High Availability Selection Guide

Logix Hot Backup Solutions

KB Article 68593 Logix Hot Backup Code Generator