RSLogix Gripe

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
Why doesn't the Software highlight a compare BOX when it is true?

I know you can see whether it's true by looking at the values, but it would be nice to have it Highlighted like the other instructions.

compare.jpg

Yeah, that would be a nice idea... :nodi:

One 'workaround' would be to put the each compare instruction on a separate rung. When the comparison is true, turn on a bit and use that bit in place of your inline compare... :confused:

beerchug

-Eric

Speaking of fixing stuff...

I'd prefer to see Rockwell work on allowing upload/download of the program WITHOUT transferring data files, before worrying about fixing this minor quirk... :rolleyes:

beerchug

-Eric

Re: Speaking of fixing stuff...

Eric Nelson said:
I'd prefer to see Rockwell work on allowing upload/download of the program WITHOUT transferring data files, before worrying about fixing this minor quirk...

beerchug

-Eric

Amen to that. I have used RSLogix since something like release 2.5 and if there is one thing that would make the product better it would be that.

And speaking of minor quirks, it would be nice if the cross reference wizard worked with JSR, RHC and TDF.

One reason you don't see the Compare type instructions visibly change state is because their is no bit to tell it when to highlight.

Remember the highlighting is a function of the software not the PLC. This would require your computer to solve the instruction just like the PLC to determine true or false. That could put a lot of load on your computer CPU.

Yes, it would be nice, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

OG

The reason why it will be near-impossible for Rockwell to change the online viewing to work like suggested, is that RSLogix can only "see" the values of the data addresses. The green colour of the binary operations is just a way to represent the datavalue "1" for an XIC instruction and "0" for an XIO instruction.
It would be a major change to somehow upload the logic results of comparison instructions.

I agree that neither of these is likely to happen anytime soon (though I too would like to have them . . .). It might be worth posting the suggestions on the Rockwell Forum

Marc

another wishlist item ...

and while we're on the "highlighting" subject ... wouldn't it be nice if the "power rails" on UNscanned ladders didn't highlight? ... the way it is now, as soon as the processor goes into run mode, the power rails in all ladder files turn green ... even the ones without a JSR, etc. programmed to call the file ...

the exception: the rails for rungs that are in an "edit" condition do not highlight when the rungs are not actually being scanned ... which of course is a VERY nice touch ...

anyway ... it seems that if they can do it for the edit mode, they should be able to do it for plain old vanilla rungs too ...

I don't get it. If the program knows that power is flowing to the right of a compare statement, it should light up the box. I guess it's not that it can't be done, they just don't want to do it.

godfrey said:
I don't get it. If the program knows that power is flowing to the right of a compare statement, it should light up the box. I guess it's not that it can't be done, they just don't want to do it.

Say the output is not true. The sofware has no way of knowing if it is the GRT or the LEQ (or both) that is not true.

I think what's being said is that the monitoring program (RSLogix) only looks at the state of contacts. It's not actually highlighting the true or false of a rung. it's showing the state of that contact AT THE END OF THE SCAN. Since the compare statement doesn't yield a true or false point in the data tables which can be monitored somewhere by the communication there is nothing to show. It can show the values since they exist in the data tables. Sure the PLC itself knows what the state is at that point but that's not what the RSLogix is showing.

What about the computer?

Okay, the PLC has no way built in to tell the computer the GRT box was solved true.

What about RSLogix? It's reading the value of the register, it has the preset - why doesn't IT light the box up all on it's own?

Seems like a minor programming job to change...

TM

If you were writing the program, would you trust computations being done two different places and then absolutely positively guarantee that they will be the same, no matter what outside influences there are?