Comparing Tasks in RSLogix5000

Burch

Good Morning,

I have two tasks within a RSLogix 5000 application I would like to compare.

I know I can use the Compare utility to compare two different applications (programs), but how can I compare two tasks within the same application?

I exported the two tasks as .l5x files, but the compare utility does not seem to like them...

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks,

Burch

You can compare them using Notepad++. I don't remember off-hand if the compare plugin is part of the regular install, but easily downloadable.

2015-01-15_11-06-12.jpg

You have my curiosity just as widelto's.

What exactly are you trying to compare? As surely they are not identical. IF, the ladder logic is in fact "identical" but all the tag references are not identical I would encourage the use of "program scoped" tags, so that all ladder and tags are identical, and just change the program tag aliasing to change the references at the controller-tag level.

Then you can simply copy/paste all logic and the program tags will automatically change the reference according to their alias.

If you want to use the compare utility, then export the task and import it into a DIFFERENT PROGRAM.

BEFORE
-Program1
---Task1
---Task2

AFTER
-Program1
---Task1
-Program2
---Task2

Then compare Program1 to Program2.

No, they are different, but need to be made the same.

You mean the program code needs to be the same, just addressing different tags ??

If that is the case, then I second, and recommend the solution provided by Paully's5.0 in post #4

But you have opened up a can of worms here.... you have multiple tasks (event or periodic) that need to be identical ??

There is no way you can guarantee that a programmer will make the same changes to all the "identical" tasks, and it seems to me you need a robust solution to ensure the code is identical for each "instance" usage. There are indeed techniques for ensuring this happens, but we would need to know a great deal more about the application, and the current structure of the program to advise further.

Thank you, JordanCClark. I just read your post and made my day. RSLogix 5000 Compare v3.20.02 Build 90 was giving me trouble "Specific cast is not valid. Additional Info: Project XML file is not formatted properly."

I downloaded Notepad++, enabled the Compare plugin as you suggested and life is beautiful again.