Crimson 3.0 Newbie

shoelesscraig

Hey guys, wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the best place to start for me to learn how to program Red Lion products in Crimson 3.0?

I am a "ladder logic" guy with limited structured text experience...but, I have recently been asked to modify some HMI programs we have here at my new job that were written in Crimson by a former employee. I also may have to begin writing my own new projects in the future. Any help you guys can offer would be much appreciated.

I have over 20 years experience working with PLCs & HMIs, mostly A-B. My one and only venture with Crimson was a couple years ago.

First, I downloaded the manuals off Red Lion's website and read through them. They aren't the most clearly written documents, for certain. Next, I searched through this forum for posts pertaining to Crimson, especially regarding comm drivers and features I knew I'd need to utilize.

Most importantly, I got my hands on a demo unit and tried making sample screens. If you have access to a spare unit, you're good to go. I spoke with my local rep and got a demo unit on loan for a few weeks.

Their tech support crew has some helpful & knowledgeable folks there. Don't hesitate to ask them for help either. Hope this helps.

Modifying a HMI that is already worked on seems a good way to learn, that way you can go through the screens see what has been done and what functionality is available. This is actually how I learned to do HMI's my first tasks were modifying, I played with some settings to see what I could "break" and how. creating my own after that was fairly simple.

Granted it was not RL that I had this experience with however it is soon coming true, we have a RL that I have been modifying, and I am waiting on the quote to come back for our next RL that I will have to program.

Work in Meadville currently living in Conneautville, Closer to Cleveland...Mentor? I know they have a lot of buisness going on there

Yes, it's good to see some business growth in this area. Working in Middlefield, actually. In the snow belt, like yourself!

Sorry for dragging this post OT.