IPV4 and IPV6 IPCONFIG Questions

Byron

Lifetime Supporting Member
Greetings to all,
IPV4 and IPV6. What? I know it's "been out there" but honestly i haven't paid a whole lot of attention to it. Earlier, for other reasons, I did an "IPCONFIG /ALL" command at my DOS prompt and saw what I have seen dozens of times when all at I once I said, "What?!" I did not make sense of the addresses. Well I found this link: http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Longhorn/ipv6.htm which explains it a bit. What I can't figure out is why my computer has 6 IP ADDRESSES: The usual IPV4 Gateway from the Comcast router, and the DHCP address given by the router, and the usual MAC address. But this computer also has 5 IPV6 Addresses: Here is a copy paste: (I changed some numbers for privacy)
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2803:c:8e00:519d:4932:59b0:1619:3a33

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2803:c:8e00:519d:e550:b4a2:cb72:c468

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2803:c:8e00:519d:fd6a:81d6:22dc:f9d9

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2803:c:8e00:519d:215:f2ff:fee9:f24e
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::215:f2ff:fee9:f24e%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
fe80::21d:d4ff:fee3:a131%4
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.75.75
fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 10:01:05
AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 21, 2015 10:01:05

I copied and pasted them each into my Visual IP Trace application I use for tracking hackers and they all show my computer... weird or what?

I also typed one of the IPV6 addresses from my PC into Visual IP Trace on another computer and the searches ping off of itself... cannot find what it is out on the ether... perhaps these are all addresses on the local network, not on the Internet.

I'm also wondering if anyone out there have had to deal with the IPV6 for Industrial Networking? Has AB or ROCKWELL gotten into that, or is everyone still using IPV4 addressing?

If any of Y'all know anything about the "scheme" let me know. This is the main desktop PC, my laptops just show the usual IPV4 addressing. They are all XP PRO.

I hope it's not big brother or ??? Vipre should nail them I would think... may be I am just Paranoid... :eek:

WAGs: virtual machine installed and/or running? multiple interfaces like wireless that may or may not be in use?

Do any of them show up as "tunnel adapters"? Seems like there is some other potential cause, but can't think of it right now.

Last edited:
Under IPv6 each device is going to/can have multiple addresses where typically under IPv4 you have at least two (localhost/127.0.0.1 and whatever address you're using to access the internet, either a "public" address, or a private address.

You have four addresses that you computer is using on the public Internet. This is supposed to provide some obscurity. And these will/can change.

The fe80: address is your "private" address on your local subnet. It is nonroutable.

For example on my machine (this is an Ubuntu 12.04 machine) I have 3 Global addresses and one Link address. One of these actually uses part of the MAC address of the NIC in it's address.

Like in the early days of IPv4 they are handing out addresses like candy on Halloween.

This is the recollection I have from a seminar someone gave on IPv6 who had a hand in deploying it across the IT systems of a City government.

blackandredwarrior:
Thanks for the information. I suppose I should Google the subject to really learn more about IPV6
OkiePC:
"WAGs" ? Wives And Girlfriends of Sportsmen? Or is the Acronymn something else? o_O

Okay: Google IPV6 if you haven't already. Some have it, some don't. The world has run out of IPV4 and the Gurus are implementing IPV6. This TOREDO TUNNEL thing I have on ONE of my PC's... weird. I did not even know it was there!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling
Purpose[edit]
6to4, the most common IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling protocol, requires the tunnel endpoint to have a public IPv4 address. However, many hosts are currently attached to the IPv4 Internet through one or several NAT devices, usually because of IPv4 address shortage. In such a situation, the only available public IPv4 address is assigned to the NAT device, and the 6to4 tunnel endpoint needs to be implemented on the NAT device itself. Many NAT devices currently deployed, however, cannot be upgraded to implement 6to4, for technical or economic reasons.

Teredo alleviates this problem by encapsulating IPv6 packets within UDP/IPv4 datagrams, which most NATs can forward properly. Thus, IPv6-aware hosts behind NATs can be used as Teredo tunnel endpoints even when they don't have a dedicated public IPv4 address. In effect, a host implementing Teredo can gain IPv6 connectivity with no cooperation from the local network environment.

Teredo is intended to be a temporary measure: in the long term, all IPv6 hosts should use native IPv6 connectivity. The Teredo protocol includes provisions for a sunset procedure: Teredo implementation should provide a way to stop using Teredo connectivity when IPv6 has matured and connectivity becomes available using a less brittle mechanism.

As of IETF89, Microsoft plans to deactivate their Teredo servers for Windows clients in the first half of 2014 (exact date TBD), and encourage the deactivation of publicly operated Teredo relays.

Not sure what to do... some folks have disabled the TOREDO TUNNEL due to possible hijacking- it is a two way street right through most firewalls. I use VIPRE, will have to check with them.

Any IDEAS welcome...
o_O

Okay folks... I don't claim to be a genius in this stuff... Please speak up if you can...
I went to the DOS PROMPT -AKA- Command Prompt:
C:\ipv6 <enter>
ALL OF MY PC'S have IPV6 "DUH". The "internet authorites" are transistioning to IPV6. Teredo was a temporary measure:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling
Teredo is designed as a last resort transition technology and is intended to be a temporary measure: in the long term, all IPv6 hosts should use native IPv6 connectivity. Teredo should therefore be disabled when native IPv6 connectivity becomes available.

Teredo was developed by Christian Huitema at Microsoft, and was standardized in the IETF as RFC 4380. The Teredo server listens on UDP port 3544.

BUT... posts like this one have me worried:
Teredo - a Little Worm That Bores Holes in your Firewall
http://www.sixscape.com/joomla/sixs...little-worm-that-bores-holes-in-your-firewall

Suggestions welcome, please... :oops:

Last edited:
QUESTIONS FOR ALL YOU PROGRAMMERS AND INTEGRATORS:

Has IPV6 caused any issues in your Industrial Networking?
Have you had to switch to the IPV6 networking scheme?
Are you still able to use the typical IPV4 I.P. ADDRESSES on your networks?
What about if your network is accessible through a firewall for global access?
Have you seen IPV6 in any PLC or HMI or NETWORK configurations, like RSLINX, ETC...???

I would like to be several steps ahead of any surprises...

👨🏻‍🏫 Teachers Welcome (y)

Any and all PLCs running VxWorks or Windows RT as their OS support IPv6, even if the development software doesn't give you access to those parameters. This includes pretty much every current product line from every major PLC brand except maybe Siemens (which probably also supports IPv6 with whatever OS they're using).

I'm not saying you can set the IPv6 IP address on you ControlLogix, but VxWorks will give the PLC an IPv6 address if connected to a pure IPv6 network.

Byron: WAGs = Wild @ss Guess

Any and all PLCs running VxWorks or Windows RT as their OS support IPv6, even if the development software doesn't give you access to those parameters. This includes pretty much every current product line from every major PLC brand except maybe Siemens (which probably also supports IPv6 with whatever OS they're using).

I'm not saying you can set the IPv6 IP address on you ControlLogix, but VxWorks will give the PLC an IPv6 address if connected to a pure IPv6 network.

Thanks for the reply. VxWorks... since 1999 or so, wow never heard of it:
Check out the robots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhWlxh-XIys
Check out one of the Mars Rovers running on Wind River VxWorks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ULMfelrw0

1998-1999... did not even know it existed... interesting, thanks!o_O