SLC 5/04 Communications

TigerCR1200

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a SLC 5/04 that I need to change the scaling on two Analog points. This makes getting the 1784-U2DHP cable cost prohibitive. Chan. 0 is set up on System with the following settings:

Driver: DF1 Half Duplex Master
Baud: 9600
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Node Address: 1

Control Line: No Handshaking
Error Detection: CRC
Polling Mode: Msg, Allow Slaves to Initiate
Duplicate Packet Detect: Checked
ACK Timeout: 50
Message Retries: 1
Reply MSG. Timeout: 1
Pre Transmit Delay: 0

I can disconnect the DB-9 connection so that I can hook up with a null modem cable. However when I do this I keep getting timeouts with the auto configure on the RS-232 DF1 Devices. If I try DF1 Slave Driver nothing comes through using the settings I listed above.

Does anyone have any advice for getting connected to this that does not involve purchasing 2000 dollar cables for a job that should only take 30 min?

gclshortt, I used a null modem and a 1747-CP3 cable both ways and no go. I just spoke with Rockwell who states that it is not possible to connect directly to with the DF1 Half Duplex Master.

I am checking in my company to see if anyone has one. Then I will try the distributor as well as a couple other customers who may have it. I posted this while on hold with Rockwell.

If you change the polling mode (in the PLC) from “Msg, Allow Slaves to Initiate” to “Std, single msg. per scan” you can access the PLC via the DF1 port. When you set the polling mode to standard you will have to define a polling range and when you set up RSLinx as a DF1 half duplex slave you will need its node number to be within the polling range. I’ve got a 5/05 connected to RSLinx that way right now.
P.S. It doesn't require anything other than a null cable