Remote panel first scan

icehube

Hi, I was wondering if there is a bit in the PLC that I could use on a remote panel as a first scan bit when powered up if power is cycled. We have about 5 other panels off of the processor so when we do preventative maintenance on the equipment we power these panels down. When powered up there are about 5 other start buttons that need hit in various locations and was wanting to unlatch the buttons on startup of these panels. We are using all control logix. Thanks.

I monitor the Module Entry Status value using GSV instructions.

When the Entry Status value becomes "4" for the first time, I know the controller has connected to the remote device. When it switches from "4" to one of the shutdown or timeout states (I don't have them at my fingertips) I know that it's been disconnected or shut down.

Thanks for the reply's I will play with this when I get back to the office. I never take my work home. I didn't know if it performed a first scan when a remote panel's power was cycled.

The remote I/O panels don't do a first scan, the controller does.
The controller talks to all the I/O on the system. This is my very, very overly simplified explanation of how the PLC (master) and remote racks (slave) communicate .
Rack 1 , rack 2, rack 3 are the slave names in my example.
The master yells to the entire network is rack 1 out there, is rack 2 out there, is rack 3 out there.
Rack 1 doesn't reply, rack 2 replies " I am here and ready talk talk" , rack 3 replies " I am here and ready to talk".
PLC yells is rack 1 out there? Rack 2 turn outputs 0,2,3,7 on, & tell me what your inputs are. Rack 3 turn outputs 0,1,5,6,7 on, & tell me what your inputs are.
Rack 2 replies what it's input status is. Rack 3 replies what it's input status is.
This happens over and over, updating inputs and outputs.
Then you power up the rack 1 and it re plies to the PLC asking rack 1 are you out there. Now the PLC treats the rack 1 just the same as rack 2 & rack 3.
While the PLC didn't get an answer from rack 1 it has a status register that Ken talked about reading with a GSV. This register is where we can see what is going on in the remote racks.

Like I said above this is a very overly simplified version of how I/O talks to the PLC. Do NOT take this a the way AB PAC talk to I/O there is a lot of behind the scenes info that I didn't include. I/O talks on a schedule, some listen only, some reply I am here but ready to work yet, etc. etc. etc.