Raw TCP/IP and Serial port Communication

Ya-hoo

Hello All,

I am a newbie of PLC and Red Lion.
I am working on a project which has RedLion HMI which receives data through TCP/IP from a un-supported device and sends data to another un-supported device through serial port.

In this case, how do I use tags to pass data? Can RedLion establish connection automatically?

Any sample code that I can start from?

Any kind help would be greatly appreciated.

What protocol are the devices speaking, Modbus?
Red Lion will not set connections automatically- you will need to assign IP address and node #1, baud,etc on serial end.

You can use gateway blocks in the Crimson communication tab to send data to the other network.

A bit more information may get you some more replies.

Thanks buffalo for your reply.
The RedLion HMI receives data through TCP/IP and sends out same data through serial port.
Do you mean I will need to make custom code to establish TCP connection? RedLion HMI will be a listener.

Thanks,

Raw TCP/IP is called a raw port or just socket connection. I'm not sure how Red Lion handles it. You simply set a port to listen and on the other device create a socket connection. Then there should be functions to transmit and receive on both ends. The trickiest part with socket communication is keep the connection alive when you aren't actively using it.

For serial, the biggest thing is to make sure the baud rates, parity, etc match, then if one side sends the other receives the raw bytes automatically. Again, don't know the details on how Red Lion or your other device handles send receive.

Thanks buffalo for your reply.
The RedLion HMI receives data through TCP/IP and sends out same data through serial port.
Do you mean I will need to make custom code to establish TCP connection? RedLion HMI will be a listener.

Thanks,

I am not sure how it handles raw tcp/ip and transfers to serial. In my experience It has been Modbus TCP, BacNet IP, etc.