Panelview 1000

sparkie

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a panelview 1000 I want to set up, an SLC500 and a ControlLogix 1756 processor. I also have a cable for the panelview. What else will I need to get them setup (just to communicate, etc)

List the PanelView, SLC and ControlLogix catalog numbers and any communication module catalog numbers in the ControlLogix rack.

Panelview - 2711-t10c16x
1756-L1/A for the ControlLogix
1747 SLC 5/04 for the SLC500

ControlLogix com module
1756-DNB/A device net
1756-ENET/B ethernet

The rest are stardard IO cards

I havn't set up a panelview or network before, but I have a 24V PSU set up and i'm about to power up the panelview to see if it works. What is the gist of the process? is it something like:

set up all components with power
decide what IO's I need to set up
run com wiring
connect devices
begin programming?

I'm using scraps from our shop, so I'm not even sure if this panelview works to be honest. I don't need to connect the PLC's, just one of them to get connected to the PanelView. I'm not sure what software I need to use or anything like that, but hey I may not get a work free night to experiment for a while! Just wanted to let you guys know that is why I'm posting here as opposed to spending time in the manual (school leaves me no free time this semester...19ch...to study this stuff).

thanks

I also found an SLC 5/05 I can use. I'm kind of worried about how I will connect to the PLC if I'm using the channel on the rs232 port. Do I need to connect the Ethernet module of an SLC 5/05 to an existing network of some sort to connect to it for programming?

An update on this project:

I am trying to connect to the 5/05 via ethernet. I went ahead and did a factory reset to reset the channels and can connect with rs232 via df1. I now need to connect to this processor via ethernet. I am using a patch cable of course to plug directly into the network port on the laptop.

I can see the device in RSWho, but I can't communicate. The issue I am running in to according to driver diagnostics is that it can't get an ip address. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Did you add the ip address in linx? I normally connect using a switch. I think direct connect you might need a crossover cable.

What is the subnet mask?

What is the physical arrangment?

You also need to set the IP address on the PC so that they are in the same subnet. For example:
PLC:
IP = 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

PC:
IP = 192.168.1.99

Leave the gateway blank or all zeros for now...

What is the subnet mask?

What is the physical arrangment?

You also need to set the IP address on the PC so that they are in the same subnet. For example:
PLC:
IP = 192.168.1.10

PC:
IP = 192.168.1.99

Leave the gateway blank or all zeros for now...

This is what I was looking for. The subnet is set up on the 5/05 but I ran out of time. It is basically going to be set up like this:

5/05 --> patch cable --> laptop ethernet port
5/05 --> rs232 cable --> rs232 df1 on PV1000
PV1000 rs232 --> rs232 cable --> rs232 to usb --> laptop usb port (for programming the pv1000 it is very old and has no card reader or ethernet port)

From there I will begin learning to use it, and probably later I can tall our networking guys into giving me a smart switch or small router I can use to set up a plc/panelview/vfd network

The gateway would be for if I have a router or switch to connect to over ethernet right?

Setting the PC IP and Subnet Mask

I am not a networking guru so the short answer to your question about the gateway is yes. here is one way to get to the PC I.P. settings, your network adapters may vary, and I have nothing plugged into my built in port so it shows up with the red X. There may be quicker methods but this one should work similarly in most recent windows OS.

From the start button find Control Panel, click on it then see pics:
attachment.php

attachment.php

setip1.jpg setip2.jpg