Fanuc and Moeller Micro's with expansion modules

CaseyK

In the cornfields, on the prarie, outside Chi-Town
I was wondering if anyone has used:

1). A GE Fanuc Versamax Micro with an expansion module.

2). Moeller easy 600 or 800 with an expansion module.

3). Moeller with a easy200-easy remote connection adapter to an expansion unit.

4). Moelller 800's linked with easy NET remote, literature says up to 8 at 3000' can be linked.

Basically, I would like to know if there have been any problems with operation, programming, or programming the remote units.

Have opportunity to try up to 8 of the 800's lonkeded together for a Demo and literature. If it actually works flawessly, that would be great too! Client is considering building and stocking a line of of-the-shelf standard panels. There was a thread on this subject several months ago. Concept is get order, write program, draw wiring interface schematic, ship. Being able to network several 800's would really expand the potential. Anyway, any input (e.g. your output) appreciated!

regards......casey

I have had to service some machines that had the Versamax with the expansion module. PLC worked okay, panel designer did not know what thet were doing.

I was not aware that Moeller had anything that fancy. That sounds cool! Is it very expensive? We build a lot of controls for conveyors and boxing equipment, that stretch out over a large area.

We also do a lot of service work on dairy and brewery equipment that is sent in from all over the world. I get to see a lot of interesting controls, most do not have a manuals, or if there is one, it is in some foriegn language.

paul

I am from the Monroe, WI area. Did you teach a class on Fanuc 9030 in Rockford about ten years ago? I used to work for Precision Drives.

Paul

Hey Paul, how ya doing?

I'm that guy. The classes were actually in 1996.

Do you still have that SAGER laptop? ever use that State Logic training?

We should meet on monroe at the Suisse Haus sometime. (Shameless plug for the best cheesburgers with grilled onions in the area).

So. are you still at Precision, or did you get a real job?

Good to hear from you....casey

Hi
I am work for GE and we use versamax micro plcs with an expansion module. However there are 14points and 28points micro plcs and you can use expansion unit only with the 28points plcs.

GE Fanuc VersaMax Micro

It used to be true that the 14 point CPUs did not support expansion, they now do.
With any of the VM Micro PLCs you can add up to 4 expansion modules, there are 14 and 28 point discrete units and Analog versions with 4 Analog in and 2 Analog out or 23 discrete and 2 Analog in and 1 Analog out. Go here for details.
http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/gefanuc/support/ControllersIO/versamaxnm.htm
Our customers have used hundreds of these with out problems.

Okay, from the above, info I've come across, and a couple of PM's, sounds like GE's stuph will do what I want it to, when you need a little extra and don't want a 9030 rack or bunch on VM modules.

I like to use the sloped consolette enclosure whenever I can, and a micro with an expansion module would work nicely in an extra wide on. See picture linked below of one of eric's panels (a big 8 X 12).

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?postid=55565#post55565

The Moeller concept is still up for grabs. Got a PM about a new product of theirs, but it doesn't appear to be imported to US yet. Would be nice to hear from a couple of 800 users. If they do decide to build up 8 units for show and tell, it will at least look impressive. If it doesn't work as anticipated, I can always write a hair-brained program to make the output LED's blink in some sequence to look like it really can do something.

On some of my projects, I would put a spare output or two on a timer to drive the electricians or techs nuts. A one minute on-off cycle can really get them worked up trying to figure out whats going on.

Anyway, keep them cards and letters
coming....casey

RussB - I bet your that GLAS guy I've heard about. I'll give you a call when (IF) I get caught up.

Last edited:
Neat Control Panel!

I still have the Sager, use it every day. It still has the original battery too! I have written several dozen programs in state logic. but have never seen another state plc. It is fun to play with. I work for the other guys now. Pay is better. Married now, live in New Glarus. Put me down for 2 cheesburgers, extra onions, large fries, two O'doulls, and a coke chaser. Sounds a little like your order used to. Call me next time you're in the area. I'm in the book. If you have my old business card, cell number is the same.

Until the next big one-

Paul

We've linked 800's (and MFD's) but don't think we've ever done all 8. I'll ask at work tomorrow.

That said (and big disclaimer here since I work for a Moeller rep) for all their faults, Moeller usually has the networking thing down. Compared to trying to set up an A/B Remote I/O network, setting up a Moeller PS4 Suconet K remote I/O network is like selling water in the desert.

OK, we've never done 8 but will be networking 5 Easys next month. Haven't had any problems but mostly the things are sitting next to each other in the same box.

There does seem to be a little technique needed to coordinate programs in the different units but not a big deal. I personally deal mostly with the larger PLC's here but if you need assistance, the guy next to me is our Easy expert.

Take Care

nOrM

Maybe I missed something here, oh wait, I started this thread...

Allen Bradley IS NOT an option. They (distributor) are also the leading local competitor. Plus they range in cost from 2-10 times as much for the same equipment from GE. Programming a larger AB plc is considerably more time consuming then GE.

Two factors were important - Fast, and Easy. Not forgetting SIMPLE.
Choices were narrowed down to GE and Moeller, both of which I've used in the past, and like. Both program quickly and easily, and wiring is simple.

Automation Direct is also in the mix, used 305 series in the past (under different brands), and we now have a handle on the 205s and DL06's. Entertron is also planned in the future, primarily for dedicated use (deisel engine control and duplex pump panels) and OEM applications.

Mitsubishi was/is being considered, along with an AROMAT unit. Siemans, Omron, IDEC, and several others did not get very good reports from other users.

BTW Paul - Put me down for only ONE cheeseburger.

thanks for the posts and the PM's...casey

I have used to GE units and am well satisfied with them. We use several each month. Our dealer gives us great service and technical support.

We ordered two of the Easy 800's and planned to network them with each other, but the lead time was to long. we settled for a Easy 600 with a expansion module set up as a remote about 30 feet away with the 200 Easy 200 Easy Link adapter. We couldnt get it to program in the unit itself. It worked okay after we programmed it with the computer and software.

If you have any specific questions, send me an email

Stoney

[email protected]

We have used a pair of the 800s networked together on several projects.
they work ok. Wish they were bigger. I think price is high.

G.

We used to have trouble programming easy relays. My boss picked up some Allen Brdleys pico relay and software. It worked good first time with no troubles. We found out that Allen Bradley software works with easy relays too with no troubles. works better that easy software.