PV Plus 600 failed to create project context

Winklehoffen

Salutations one and all.

I have a little problem with a PV+ 400 (part number 2711PK4M20D). This is on old model (series A with 3.20 firmware) that I need to change the IP address on (IT guys need to do something to justify their positions).

I recently made a small change to one of the screens with no issue. Downloaded the project and it fired up just fine. This time though after changing the IP address on the unit and in the runtime config and creating a new mer file (as version 3.20) I get an error saying "Failed To Create Project Context" when it boots up. Now if I download the old mer file the same error happens.

I have tried downloading new firmware, etc. and am about to try an older version of FTView, but in the meantime can anyone enlighten me as to what this error means and how do I resolve it? I can't find anything about this in the Rockwell KB either.

Cheers.

Interestingly I appear to have resolved this issue by using an old version of FTView. I have recently installed version 8.00 on my new laptop in a virtual machine which is what I was originally trying to use. I dug my old laptop out, the one I used on this job the last time, running 6.10 and it seemed to go swimmingly. No error at all. Maybe it's something to do with the computer setup? I'd still like to know what that error means though.

My first thought is that the old laptop was 32 bit and the new one was 64 bit, is that the case? That will almost always cause a problem, but in my experience usually gives you a more specific error message.

I have been working through same issue with FTView ME ver 8.1 "unable to create runtime file". There are a few technotes regarding re-registering dll files and the like, but that was unsuccessful in my case. Also tried the export/import technique.
A newly created application would create runtime file OK, so I exported the tag database from original project and imported to new project (Tools-Tag Import and Export Wizard). Added display pages (Displays, right click, Add component into application, browse to old gfx folder). Had to set up security and comms setup from scratch but after that the project creates the runtime OK. Hope this might help some cases.

This seems to happen when bringing in projects from older versions. This project was originally created in ver 5 and was stepped through ver 6.1 to convert database into ver 7.

Last edited:
A bit late to the party but here you go...

Winklehoffen said:
...can anyone enlighten me as to what this error means and how do I resolve it? I can't find anything about this in the Rockwell KB either...

673799 - Patch: 3.20 MERs created in Studio v8.0 fail to load on a v3.20.xx PVP, FactoryTalk View 8.00.00 (CPR9 SR7)
Access Level: Everyone

It appears to be an anomaly with FTView v8 and you need to patch it up to resolve the issue.

Regards,
George

Last edited: