Help! Need wiring help on Toshiba

Russs

R
have a toshiba EQP III Motor.. motor leads are set up as A (1-3), B(1-3), C(1-3), and D(1-3). Talked to Toshiba and was told each number corresponded to a phase.
But it is not working. Using a Robicon 454GT VFD, and it works fine when not connected to motor.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Plant is down and out of production right now...

I'll take a shot at this, but i'm trying to fall asleep, so here goes... And you can probably find a good drawing in google for a twelve lead motor.

Each phase has 4 wires. 2 wires are connected to each coil. Connect the two coils for each individual phase in parallel for 240 volts, or in series for 480 volts. Then the leads need to be connect for WYE of for DELTA.

see this link, scroll down to a NEMA 12 lead motor

http://www.joliettech.com/3ph_motors_single_speed.htm

You canuse a vom to check the leads, my guess is that on coil will be A and B, and the other C and D. This would follow thru for all phases.

regards...casey

Sounds like you have what I think is refered to a split phase (12 lead) motor. Is the motor dual voltage ie 230V/460V? If so you have two sets of windings for each phase. If you are wiring the motor on the low voltage side you need to put each set of windings in parallel, if on the high voltage side you need to put them in series. You will need an ohmeter to figure this out.

A1
I
I
I
B1
C1
I
I
I
D1
D3 D2
/ \
/ \
/ \
C3 C2
B3 B2
/ \
/ \
/ \
A3 A2

I am guessing at th above drawing (confirm with an ohmeter) usually these motor leads are labeled 1-12. The above drawing is for high voltage. You would connect A1 A2 and A3 to the drive, connect b1-c1,b2-c2,b3-c3, and tie all of the D's together. For low voltaqe make the same drawing with the windings in parallel.

Toshiba should be able to tell you this and ther should be a wiring diagram on the motor.

I am only guessing based on the information you provided so try at your own risk and definately verify the windings with an ohmeter.

Sorry all my formatting for the drawing was lost when I posted, I hope you get the picture. Reply is you need more help

Last edited:
I didn't want to see allscott's work go to waste...

A1
I
I
I
B1
C1
I
I
I
D1
D3 D2
/ \
/ \
/ \
C3 C2
B3 B2
/ \
/ \
/ \
A3 A2

beerchug

-Eric

the vfd fault is a T phase out of saturation fault. Phases 2/3 were switched at the vfd to see if the fault shifted to another phase. Unfortunately it didn't.

took me 10 minutes to make that drawing, don't know why the spaces dissappeared. :rolleyes:

Russ you have to make sure your motor is wired correctly or you can most definately get phase type faults on the drive (the drive is trying to protect itself). If you wired the motor wrong and the drive won't start it, you probably won't hurt the motor but have a lot better chance of smoking your drive.

allscott said:
took me 10 minutes to make that drawing, don't know why the spaces dissappeared. :rolleyes:

In order to maintain the formatting, you need to place [LADDER] before, and [/LADDER] after your text.

Click on the
quote.gif
button on my last post to see where they go.

beerchug

-Eric

allscott said:

Russ you have to make sure your motor is wired correctly or you can most definately get phase type faults on the drive (the drive is trying to protect itself). If you wired the motor wrong and the drive won't start it, you probably won't hurt the motor but have a lot better chance of smoking your drive.

You were right. One cable from two legs (3-500MCM cable per leg) were incorrectly labeled.
Two electrical companies missed it (and they supposedly rang out the lines too).
The poor vfd guy changed cells at least 3 times. Though the microboard got fried because (same) electricians didn't demo the old control wiring and the microboard received 220 instead of 120...

Oh the joy.... (now hitting my 90th hour (of overtime) this week)...