Rslogix

a factor of ten ?

Both are logic editors for Allen-Bradley brand logic controllers.

RSLogix 500 is for SLC-500 and MicroLogix controllers.

RSLogix 5000 is for the newer "Logix" family of controllers, including CompactLogix, ControlLogix, FlexLogix, DriveLogix, and SoftLogix 5800 controllers.

I concur, sometimes when I search in RSL 5000 i get sent out to another application. The comments and search utilities are a bit lacking. great processors! poor editor!

RSLogix 5000 vs 500

RSLogix 5000 is an IEC 61131-3 programming tools which lets you program in several different editor. LL, FBD, ST, IL and SFC. Unlike the RSLogix 500 there is no B3 or N7. Everything is tag based. The RSLogix 5000 let's you program several different PLC platform including ControlLogix, CompactLogix, FlexLogix...

The ControlLogix PLC is much faster and has more memory then the SCL505. ControlLogix also lets you have 2 PLCs in the same chassis...

Sure, I have no gripe with the hardware, it is good stuff, fast too, and I'm no stranger to tag based languages, C for Microcontrollers is about as "free form" as you can get. I still get the feeling that we are all doing the testing for Rockwell Software much like Microsoft does to us. I've come to expect certain features in a PLC from Allen Bradley and the new RS Logix is missing a few of them. If you don't section your program properly during development, then searching for tags can be a real tedious task. In Rockwells defense I do like the feature that allows you to see if an instruction is destructive or not for a given tag. This is a winner!!!! How many times have you searched through someones 1000 rung single ladder program to see where a word was being over written??? Not everyone has taken advantage of the Control Logix's flexibility, I just worked on a job with redundant 5550 processors and a single ladder that was enormous. The system was state of the art, but the original programmer was stuck in a PLC-2.

4500 is about right, not quite there yet.