How do I Identify I/O cards in the PLC 5

showshocka

How do I Identify particular I/O cards in the PLC 5 from viewing the I/O section of the ladder in RSL5. It does not look anything like the RSL500 or Logix5000

I_O card Identify.jpg

PLC5s do not need anything to be entered there for the system to work perfectly. It's optional. I liked to use it for documentation purposes.

Just to expand on what jkerekes said above, if you do see anything in the I/O configuration, it may not be correct, as it was just provided for documentation.

And in PLC5, there is no concept of the processor needing to "see" the correct I/O modules installed, it just tried to work with what you put in the slots.

Module identity, and the checking of, came in with SLC500 systems... PLC5 is very many years old

And in PLC5, there is no concept of the processor needing to "see" the correct I/O modules installed, it just tried to work with what you put in the slots.

It's a longstanding question of mine why that needed to be changed. If you put the wrong card in to a newer PLC, the PLC faults and says "I'm supposed to have an ABC card, and instead I'm seeing a 123 card". I mean, if the PLC's smart enough to say "I have a 123 card", surely it can populate it's own hardware tree with the 123 card and remain happy?

My favourite example of this is when you add a card to a point I/O rack. First of all, you have to do a download to tell the PLC "Point I/O Rack A's chassis size has been increased from 3 to 4". If you don't, the PLC gets upset and says "The chassis size on Point I/O Rack A is supposed to be 3, but there's an extra card there!". Then you have to tell it what the new card you added is (and again, if you get it wrong, it'll tell you "no, that's not right, I have card XYZ, you need to tell me that I have card XYZ"). Then, and this is my favourite part, your Point I/O adapter has the yellow triangle, because the PLC thinks it has to find an adaptor with a chassis size of 4, and the Point I/O rack it's looking at has four cards, but still thinks it supposed to only have 3. It knows it DOESN'T have 3, because it's got a module fault. It'll even tell you in the properties page "I'm supposed to have three cards, but I have four". But you still have to click a button to tell it that it now has 4 cards anyway, which it already knows.

I mean, if it's smart enough to realise that the PLC is looking for it to have a certain four cards, and it has those four cards, surely it's smart enough to say "OK, got it, new card" without me having to push a button to say so?

/rant

Last edited:
How do I Identify I/O cards in the PLC 5

Just double-click on any of the items in the colume titled "Chassis Type".
If the I/O was configured it will show up there. See picture.

iolisting.png

In PLC5, the I/O addressing is decided by dip switches in the RIO Adapters (decides Rack number and Group number) and in the chassis (decides 2-slot, 1-slot or ½-slot addressing).
Since you cannot read the switch positions on a running system it is important that it is documented when the system is commisioned. Otherwise it becomes guesswork.
If you open a chassis in the I/O configuration in RSLogix 5, and see it populated with I/O modules, then maybe (!) it is correct.

If there is a proper electrical documentation, you can try to get the information from the electrical diagrams. If done properly, each input and output in the diagrams should have not just the hardware address but also the logical addresses.