Panelbuilder greyed out toolbars

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
[FONT=&quot]Frustration! Trying to change an old panelbuilder project and the software has all of the toolbar info “greyed out”. So for example, I can’t use the inner text feature since it is grey. The entire menu bar, File, Edit, View, Screen, etc. is useable. But if I click into an object like a Numeric entry object and then select inner text from the format menu, nothing happens as the inner text toolbar is grey and not accessible. I have gone thru the manual so far not successfully and google doesn’t seem to know this one. Any help?[/FONT]

Re-installed onto a different machine and it works just fine. Maybe the ver 3.83 installation is corrupted on that particular PC. I'll reinstall and diagnose.

[FONT=&quot]Frustration! Trying to change an old panelbuilder project and the software has all of the toolbar info “greyed out”. So for example, I can’t use the inner text feature since it is grey. The entire menu bar, File, Edit, View, Screen, etc. is useable. But if I click into an object like a Numeric entry object and then select inner text from the format menu, nothing happens as the inner text toolbar is grey and not accessible. I have gone thru the manual so far not successfully and google doesn’t seem to know this one. Any help?[/FONT]

I have this same issue, re-installing did not solve my problem either. Has anyone figured out a solution yet?

The Knowledgebase article 40490 (Techconnect Required) says there is an incompatibility between PB version 3.82 and Internet Explorer ver 7.0.

They suggest changing from IE 7.0 or upgrade Panelbuilder to version 3.83

The Knowledgebase article 40490 (Techconnect Required) says there is an incompatibility between PB version 3.82 and Internet Explorer ver 7.0.

They suggest changing from IE 7.0 or upgrade Panelbuilder to version 3.83

I have v3.83.01 installed.

Contacted Rockwell Techsupport and they referenced Technote 150966 which states Panelbuilder32 is not supported on Windows 7, and recommends running it in XP mode.

Contacted Rockwell Techsupport and they referenced Technote 150966 which states Panelbuilder32 is not supported on Windows 7, and recommends running it in XP mode.

That's odd, I use V3.83.01 on my Windows 7 PC without any special steps. but it is Windows 7 Pro 32 Bit. Is it possible the PC you are having trouble with is Windows 7 64 Bit?

Stu....

That's odd, I use V3.83.01 on my Windows 7 PC without any special steps. but it is Windows 7 Pro 32 Bit. Is it possible the PC you are having trouble with is Windows 7 64 Bit?

Stu....

Yes, I am using 64 bit. The technote says PB32 will run in XP compatibility mode on Win7 32 bit, but needs to be in XP mode for 64 bit.

I do think there's something else going on though, because I used PB32 on this PC with Win 7 64-bit for years before I started having the issue with toolbars greyed out. So I assume I did something to break it, but I don't know what.

I did install PB32 in XP mode and it works fines (besides the hassle of having to run it in XP mode).

We just had the same issue in our office, which was neatly resolved:
- Find the PBWin32.exe file in your installed directory
- Right click on it and select Properties>Compatibility
- In the Compatibility box, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
- Select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
- Click Okay

Runs just like old times
Hope this does the trick

Internet Exploder

IE is the browser you use to download a better browser. Go Chrome!

I recall having to use the Compatibility Mode to solve other problems

And for another neat trick (Thanks Eric Nelson) for PB32:
Download KatMouse so your scroll wheel will work in the tag browser. Just be sure to disable the little utility (if) when you run Autocad.

Last edited:
We just had the same issue in our office, which was neatly resolved:
- Find the PBWin32.exe file in your installed directory
- Right click on it and select Properties>Compatibility
- In the Compatibility box, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
- Select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
- Click Okay

Runs just like old times
Hope this does the trick
This did not work for me. I'm assuming still because of 32-bit vs. 64-bit?

I started this conversation. i have to keep an old XP computer alive just for these machines. Someday soon it will be an opportunity to sell new equipment.

Ted_s said:

Contacted Rockwell Techsupport and they referenced Technote 150966 which states Panelbuilder32 is not supported on Windows 7, and recommends running it in XP mode...

Ted_s said:
...Yes, I am using 64 bit. The technote says PB32 will run in XP compatibility mode on Win7 32 bit, but needs to be in XP mode for 64 bit...

I did install PB32 in XP mode and it works fines (besides the hassle of having to run it in XP mode).

Ted_s said:
This did not work for me. I'm assuming still because of 32-bit vs. 64-bit?

Yes, because your OS is 64-bit. You said so yourself. The Technote clearly says that for PanelBuilder32 in Windows 7 x64 use XP Mode. Compatibility Mode is only an option for Windows 7 x86. It also only claims that it "may" work using these methods.

I have two laptops. One is native Windows 7 x86 and I have PB32 installed and running natively in Compatability Mode as well as normally in XP Mode. The other laptop is Windows 7 x64 and PB32 will not run for me natively while using Compatability Mode but does run fine in XP Mode.

Ted_s said:
...I do think there's something else going on though, because I used PB32 on this PC with Win 7 64-bit for years before I started having the issue with toolbars greyed out. So I assume I did something to break it, but I don't know what...

If it happened to be working ok for you in Windows 7 x64, and suddenly started acting up, then it's likely something was installed or updated that threw a spanner in the work. Who knows, but they will not spend time try to solve it. They will only advise you to follow the Technote.

Regards,
George

Interesting reading on this. i have a new win 7 pc and i was not able to even load panel builder on it. How did you get it to load?
I also have to keep a older win xp machine just for this.
Thanks

Windows 7 Professional will run it. I believe you have to run the installation in XPMode, and as administrator as well as the actual application. It was a few years ago, but that is what I seem to recall.