Problem Opening RSLogix 5000 v10.06 project.

JanHoltz

Hi Guys,o_O

I have a problem opening an old project file in RSLogix 5000 V10.06. I have RSLogix 10-16 installed and the project file opens fine on the PC running the line.

I am, however, trying to open it on my laptop running windows 8.1. All other project files, ranging from v10-16 open fine except this one. The error message I am getting is as follows:

RSLogix 5000 Fatal Error

Fatal Error!

Application Path: c:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\ENU\v10\Bin\RS5000.Exe

Version: V10.06.00
Source File: RxServices.cpp
Line Number: 246

Error 0xc0000005 (-1073741819)

0xc0000005 - No message available for error.

Press OK to terminate this application.

Any help would be appreciated, I don't want work on the production line if I don't have to.

Thank You.

That error code is very similar to the one described in RA Knowledgebase article 41061 (TechConnect Required).

The workaround suggested in that Knowledgebase article is to hold down the control and shifts key while directly launching a higher-than-v10 version, then going back and doing the same thing to launch v10. Holding down Control and Shift causes the "recent launch" variables to be cleared in Windows.

The direct executables are each located in their own folders, like:

C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\ENU\v10\Bin\RS5000.exe

RSLogix 5000 version 10 predates Windows 8.1 by about thirteen years, so I'm not surprised they don't work well together. Windows XP virtual machines are hugely valuable when running old software, and in my opinion VMWare Workstation is the best value for software I've ever bought.

I'm not sure about Windows 8 compatibility, but V13 is the oldest version of RSLogix 5000 that can be installed in Windows 7. So, you'll need an old XP PC or VM as Ken suggested to install V10 on.

That error code is very similar to the one described in RA Knowledgebase article 41061 (TechConnect Required).

The workaround suggested in that Knowledgebase article is to hold down the control and shifts key while directly launching a higher-than-v10 version, then going back and doing the same thing to launch v10. Holding down Control and Shift causes the "recent launch" variables to be cleared in Windows.

The direct executables are each located in their own folders, like:

C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\ENU\v10\Bin\RS5000.exe

Thanks for the reply but this did not work :(.

RSLogix 5000 version 10 predates Windows 8.1 by about thirteen years, so I'm not surprised they don't work well together. Windows XP virtual machines are hugely valuable when running old software, and in my opinion VMWare Workstation is the best value for software I've ever bought.

I'm not sure about Windows 8 compatibility, but V13 is the oldest version of RSLogix 5000 that can be installed in Windows 7. So, you'll need an old XP PC or VM as Ken suggested to install V10 on.

I think you guys are correct, my laptop that kicked the bucket, was running XP. And the one I am running now is windows 8.1. So I think I am going to have to install a virtal machine and try that. Thanks again for all the replies and advice.