Profinet protocol supported industrial devices

mbreddy

Hi,
We need to interface an industrial device (which supports profinet protocol) to PLC.for Ex sensors or any small device. Unable to find myself.

Thanks,
mbr

Profinet is an ethernet based, realtime, deterministic protocol (like Powerlink and EtherCat), it may not be supported by many low end PLCs. If you don't actually need the speed and precision of Profinet, you can use a gateway device to convert to Modbus or something similar that would be supported by more PLCs.

Keep in mind, ProfiNet and ProfiBus are completely different things.

Hi,
Thanks for the response.I have Allenbradley 1766L32BXB PLC.We need to find and interface devices which supports different protocols like(profibus,profinet,modbus..etc).

To connect a ProfiNet device to an A-B controller is going to cost more than the controller itself, by a lot.

I would start with HMS Anybus and their various gateway products.

Siemens S7-1200 as Gateway

Dear mbreddy, If your AB support Modbus TCP or RTU. You can use a cheap S7-1200 (i.e. 1211) as a network gateway, you may have to do a little of programming, but it's easy. with it you can connect to PROFINET networks as master (io controller) or slave (io device), it can also work as PROFIBUS master or slave (adding communications card). Best regards, kelkoon

I suggest you switch to a PLC/PAC that supports Profinet directly either GEIP or Siemens would be my first and second choice. In that order.

what is the field device with Profinet that is so special that you can't substitute another field device with which you can communicate in some other fashion?