OT:Pump Vibration Isolation

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
While I know this is a PLC forum mostly dedicated to electrical control, I have a problem with a pump that is causing my electronics to fail and I was hoping that someone on the site might have some ideas.

Here is the situation: We are using a PD (Blackmer) pump to unload crude oil from trucks. The pump seems to have some vibration when it is pumping. the vibration becomes severe when the pump cavitate. I am working on the cavitation but would like to dampen the vibration under normal conditions too.

I am thinking about putting a expansion joint in the pipe after the pump. I was wondering if anyone has done that, what brand they used and any advice they can give.

Thanks for the help!!

I suspect that if you look at the pump manufacturer's instruction they will DEMAND that expansion joints be installed on inlet and discharge. Pumps shouldn't support loads on the pump flange - it can damage the pump and often causes vibration.

If you are frequently cavitating the pump is probably half destroyed already.

Type and materials for the expansion joints depends on temperature and pressure of the fluid, but here is a starting point: http://www.mcmaster.com/#vibration-control-expansion-joints/=vp0p7r

use a pressure sensor in suction line, if pressure gets low slow down the pump, when truck is almost empty the pump will slow down to keep the pump from cavitating.