Error with Ethernet/ip communication

chenhg

I can't communicate to Rockwell compact L33ERM with Ethernet/ip.I got error msgs using service CIP_MULTI_REQUEST and CIP_DATA_READ.The error codes are listed following :

0x001e:embedded service error
0x000f:priviledge violation

Anyone can give me some hint to handle this problem.Thanks in advance.

What is your client software ?

You need to provide a lot more information for anyone to help you with specific CIP driver or application software development and troubleshooting.

thanks Ken Roach for reply. I have caught communication packet with wireshark.Pls see the attachment.Thank you in advance.

Please try to provide some useful context for the question instead of just the low-level command codes and error codes in Wireshark. You posted a similar question six years ago and got no answers.

A Privilege Violation suggests that the tags you are trying to read are restricted from being read by an operating system feature.

Service code 0x4C is object-specific... it has a different meaning in every CIP object. I'm not familiar with Object 0x72 because it's related to the complicated multiple-service commands, and I'm not a CIP firmware developer.

What is the client software ?

What are the tags you are trying to read ?

Last edited:
Thanks Ken Roach a lot.It's very kind of you to remind me of the question.
1.All tags are gerenic variables with R/W access.The command of multiservice and 0x4C(It's used for reading tag described in AB manual ) is valid because RSLinx also uses both commands to read tag value.
2.The client software was developed by me several yeas ago according to some manuals and tests because I didn't find one special manual available to write the driver.I'm not clear about the initiation procedure all the time although the diver works well with AB ethernet or some compact plcs.I'm also sure the priviledge violation error is caused by my improper initiation steps because initiation steps are only difference between my driver and RSLinx.I hope to figure out the necessary initiateion steps to communicate instead of following RSLinx with too many steps.The following is my initiation steps:
a.Register session
b.forward open
c.enum all tag online
d.forward close
e.forward open
f.kick time
g.Get Attribute of all tags
h.multiservice and 0x4C read tags

I'm confused by the red commands.I think it's point to resolve my problems.

Any help will be appriciated.

I hope to figure out the necessary initiation steps to communicate instead of following RSLinx with too many steps.

If you're going to try to reverse-engineer functions of RSLinx, you'd better imitate RSLinx. If you want a different client to imitate, grab a Kepware or Red Lion software client and see what it does.

I'm not a CIP protocol developer and am not qualified to help.

"Symbolic" mode fixed it for me

I realize this is an old thread, but I just ran into an identical problem and this article came up when I was searching for solutions. So I'm posting the solution I found for the future greater good.

I was having exactly the same symptoms. My application was using Kepware to poll data from an AB CompactLogix L35E.

The solution was to edit the properties of the PLC node in the Kepware tree, change the Protocol Mode (in the Logix Options tab) to "Symbolic", and then make sure it STAYS Symbolic after you click the Apply button. Be careful: the mode may revert to the previous mode and you might not notice it. Someone once told me they change the Data Collection mode (in the General tab) to "Disable" before trying to change the Protocol Mode. Even that did not work for me. I had to delete the old PLC node in the Kepware tree and create a whole new one with the Symbolic mode from the start.

The whole "Symbloic" work around is unique to some version of Logix and Kepware. Not sure if OP's problem are the same since s/he wasn't talking about OPC.