RSWho won't run

I'm trying to communicate with my CompactLogix PLC, and when I click RsWho in RSLinx, it tries to configure RSLinx classic 2.58.00 CPR 9 SR 4. This has never happened before, and I could always see the correct page. This configuration doesn't complete for some reason and nothing becomes displayed.

I have created the the ethernet/ip driver (or at least I think it is correct), and I've pinged my IP for the PLC and all packets were delivered.

Not sure what the issue is, but any and all help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Capture the exact text of the dialog box or message displayed when the software attempts to "configure" itself.

I know this is an installation problem but I don't recall a solution. Keywords to feed into the Knowledgebase will help a lot.

Capture the exact text of the dialog box or message displayed when the software attempts to "configure" itself.

I know this is an installation problem but I don't recall a solution. Keywords to feed into the Knowledgebase will help a lot.

It says "Please wait while Windows configures RSLinx Classic 2.58.00 CPR 9 SR 4" I should also note that when this dialog box comes up, it closes it out RSLinx

Then, that fails and this comes up "Error 1921. Service RSLinx Classic (RSLinx) could not be stopped. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to stop system services."

I just tried accessing the project path through RSLogix 5000, and after the initial configuration window a different window appears instead of the error window like when accessing through RSLinx. This one says "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the RSLinx Class 2.58.00 CPR 9 SR 4 disk and click OK."

Last edited:
64bit os?

This happens often enough on my win7 64 platform.

Stop harmony service, in Rockwell common folder find 2 hmy dll files and delete them (rename if you're skeptical)

Restart pc, start harmony service (if not already) and rslinx should again work.

The warning about stopping system services could be the problem as well - RSLinx can run as a service (for example, when you're using a PC to run a SoftLogix virtual PLC, RSLinx must run as a service). To open up the splash screen and configure the drivers etc, you need to stop the RSLinx service and run the RSLinx application. If you've got SoftLogix running (which also runs as a service), you won't be able to stop the RSLinx service, as the SoftLogix service is dependant on it. Likely SoftLogix itself isn't your problem here, but it could be along the same lines. Click start and type Services, then click on the Services icon. Scroll down through the list to find RSLinx Enterprise, and double click on it. See if it's running, and in the dependencies tab, see if there are any dependencies that might be preventing you from stopping it. Try stopping the service from the General tab, see if you get the same error.

This could be completely irrelevant, as Ken said it could quite likely be an installation problem, but just going off the error message that's where I'd start looking - you might learn something there :)

Perfect thank you. I'll note that I'm a college student and hence that's why I can't troubleshoot this till tomorrow when I head back in to school. Trying to get the PLC running for an advanced control strategy trainer my group has built

Ah. Well then yes, I'd definitely be looking at the services then. If college IT departments in Canada are anything like college IT departments in Australia, as a student your login will have as few permissions as they can possibly give you. Starting and stopping services will probably not be something you can do. In fact, they'll have probably locked you out of the Services dialog altogether!

Ah. Well then yes, I'd definitely be looking at the services then. If college IT departments in Canada are anything like college IT departments in Australia, as a student your login will have as few permissions as they can possibly give you. Starting and stopping services will probably not be something you can do. In fact, they'll have probably locked you out of the Services dialog altogether!

I'm thinking it was improperly installed by the tech person. For the project I have my own laptop with all the software on it with admin rights, and access to everything. The laptop is on loan from the college but I think there was a fault when the software was installed. I'm going to try to further troubleshoot tomorrow, if not, I'll just ask one of my instructors.

Oh right. That shouldn't be the issue then. But yes, still have a poke around in the services panel and see if you can spot anything obvious, and then if not, you might be heading down the reinstall path as you say :)