Factory Talk SE and Ignition tag data exchange

curlyandshemp

Lifetime Supporting Member
Posted this same question on Inductive Automation's Forum. Sometimes questions on that forum never get answered.

Has anyone been able to directly exchange tag data between Ignition and FTSE?
I know I can use an MSSQL database to act as a gateway or a PLC , but I would actually like to tag browse the HMI Tags that reside in FTSE .

Connecting to the default MSSQL tag database used by FTSE is in lockdown mode and only FTSE project database names can be browsed.

The Ignition OPC-COM module only allows connections to Rslinx device connections

Rockwell Software used to offer a software product called RSOPC Gateway, later re-named FactoryTalk Gateway, which provided an OPC Server that allowed access to all the data in a FactoryTalk system, including the HMI tags in FactoryTalk View HMI applications and the data being served by RSLinx Gateway.

The old part number is 9355-OPDxxxx, where the number was the tag limit.

That part number today is FactoryTalk ERP Gateway, which looks like it's a concentrated, distilled essence of buzzwords because it's made to connect FactoryTalk to a lot more data services than just OPC DA. But it might still provide the OPC DA access to FactoryTalk View's HMI database you want.