Comms and Programming cables

wilheldp

My buddies and I are working on a little project and we are using a SLC and a Panelview for it. We have a SLC 5/03 with a DH-485 and RS-232 port on it and a DH-485 Panelview. Exactly what cables do I need to program both the SLC and the Panelview and then have them talk to each other?

Thanks in Advance,
Dan

Both programming cables will be DB-9 (9 pin) Female-to-Female. For the Panelview, you should need a straight-thru cable (available at Radio Shack). Put a null-modem (also available at Radio Shack) on it to program the SLC.

I don't remember what the DH-485 port looks like on the SLC 5/03. I think you'll need a cable from AB.

AK

There are several ways to program your SLC - PCMK, PIC, KTx, another manufacturers RS-232 TO DH-485 convertor, etc. Each one requires different cables and hardware. If you and your buddies are just experimenting, then the cheapest (and in my opinion easiest) way would be with a null modem cable. Let us know if you have trouble setting it up.

P.S. To akreel, it's a J45 (a fat phone plug).

Programming Cable

You should be able to use just the DB9 serial cable with a null adapter to program the PLC. Now this will cause some problems when you go to debug with the panelview talking to the PLC. Check the A-B knowledge base for the DH485 pinout you should be able to find it and build up your own cable for programming using the RJ45 Port. I will try and find some time to go search for also on the KB.

Brian

wilheldp said:
So I will be programming via RS-232 on both the SLC and the Panelview?

That's what I suggest. Unless, of course, you want to try and figure out DH-485 pass-through on the SLC. But, you'd still need the RS232 cable to the SLC in that case, too.

I've done this stuff before, but it's been a while and I don't remember exactly how I did it.

The Panelview manual says that the RS-232 port is only an output to a printer. From what I understand, I can use a standard RS-232 cable with a null modem adapter to connect between a PC serial port and the port on the SLC. Then I can hook the SLC and Panelview together with a DH-485 cable from AB, and program it via passthrough (which I've heard is possible, but a pain in the arse).

If that's right, blink your eyes twice.

Maybe Ken can help us out here, but I believe the Panelview's and the SLC's DH-485 communications are both RS232. (DH-485 is a protocol, RS-485 is a comm spec for wiring) I did this a few months ago, and to program the SLC I used a standard null modem cable to the DB9 port. To program the PanelView I unplugged the PLC to Panelview cable, added a null modem adapter (to make the null modem cable straight thru) and tied into the PanelView's PLC port. I used a laptop with a standard serial port and the RSLinx PIC driver to connect to both.

To tie the PanelView to the SLC I used an Allen Bradly cable - unless you are making a bunch of them it just isn't worth the screwing around.

wilheldp said:
If that's right, blink your eyes twice.

I'll give a blink and a half. I suppose it might depend on the specific Panelview model, but you SHOULD be able to program it via the "printer port."

I've never needed any special equipment to program a Panelview, other than a strong cup of coffee.

akreel said:
but you SHOULD be able to program it via the "printer port."

I agree. I always thought you could use the RS-232 port for upload/download until I saw wilheldp's post about the user manual, so I had to go check it out.