RS Asset Center and FT View SE

Tim Ganz

We just purchased Asset Center and we will be attending a class on it in early march. I was reading up on its setup and have a few questions.

We bought it primarily for it's revison features and did not tget the disaster recovery module becase most of our machines and cells are not networked. We have one server we plan to use for the maintenance dept and engineeirng.

Maintenance has 4 laptops and engineering has 3. We want everyone to use the asset center to keep good version control as it's horrible now.

Using FT security will mke sure the right people can get to the right things from my understanding.

I am not sure how we will secure FT view SE as we have SE station and SE distributed. How do we secure these? Our normal setup has the PC's autologin in windows and then start the application as we don't user users and passwords in our SE apps or the compyters they run on. Can they be secured with FT security and asset center like this?

The FTVSE clients operation will not be affected by the FTAC supervision.
FTAC is intended to be used in conjunction with the development software only, FactoryTalk View Studio in your case.
All the machines which's installed RA user software is to be managed by the FTAC need to be part of the same FactoryTalk Directory as the FactoryTalk AssetCentre Server; the security credentials will be entered using the FactoryTalk Administration Console utility and they consists of both User and Computer identifiers.
Make a long story short: all users who will be allowed to use the RA software will need to have their Windows Login Names within the FactoryTalk Administration Console System/Security/Users directory; also, all the PCs who will be running the FTAC managed RA software will need to have their Computer Names within the System/Security/Computers directory.
Obviously, if the development software is secure, the clients (distributed or station) will also be secure since one will need the said (and "secure")development software in order to create, edit or deploy client applications.