Flex I/O (Ethernet/IP)

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Looking at a new job and the engineer as spec'ed using Flex I/O with the 1794-AENTR adapter. I have worked with the Flex I/O before but it was with the RIO adapter. Has anything changed going to the Ethernet/IP? As I recall it was pretty easy to work with as long as you had digital I/O but the Analog was a real PITA!! I had to do Block Transfers to get the data back.

Would you stay with the Flex I/O or go to a 1769-AENTR and use 1769 I/O?

I would love to hear your opinions.
Thanks!!

You won't need to do block transfers since it's ethernet you will be doing direct node connections.

You will want to use rack optimized connections for your digital IO and direct connections for your analog IO in each Flex rack.

As far as Flex Vs.1769 IO it depends on cost / budget and the amount of IO. If I was using 1769 IO I would use IFM modules with it which can drive up the cost and take up more room and many times with flex IO things like IFM modules and terminal blocks are not needed at all or reduced.

Either will work fine. You Just have to figure out what suits your project best.

Also not sure which processor you are using but keep count of connections on either platform you choose to make sure you will not exceed what the plc and /or adaptor can handle.

Each flex rack will consume at least 1 connection for rack optimized digital IO and 1 connection for each analog IO module in the rack.

Remember connected Laptops, PC/s, HMI's, etc. all consume so many connections. Make sure this is accounted for in your plan.

The processor is a Contrologix L73 with the ENBT Adapter. So I should have 128 ENet/IP connections.

Rock out with Flex! It will be a piece of cake on Ethernet. If you are going to use DLR, then you should also get the EN2TR instead of the ENBT for the ControlLogix rack to match with the capabilities of the AENTR on the Flex rack. Otherwise keep the ENBT and ditch the AENTR for a standard AENT. No reason to get the R adaptors if you aren't going to use the feature.

I recently did a project that replaced some ControlNET and DeviceNET FlexIO modules with Ethernet (1794-AENT). The connection time from power up went from a few seconds on ControlNET to 30-45 seconds with the Ethernet. Has everyone else seen this same connection time?

You can daisy chain the AENTR's and not need to have an ethernet switch in the remote I/O panels. I still like putting one in there though so I can get on line with the code out at the remote panels.

I am spec'ing out a ControlLogix DLR setup now with several remote Flex I/O racks right now with Ethernet I/P, the increased density of I/O with the Flex is why I think I am going to go this route.

This plant will be across the street from the ocean, hopefully this will not be an issue. It is good to hear that you folks are having good results with the Flex because initially I wanted to go with Point I/O.

I recently did a project that replaced some ControlNET and DeviceNET FlexIO modules with Ethernet (1794-AENT). The connection time from power up went from a few seconds on ControlNET to 30-45 seconds with the Ethernet. Has everyone else seen this same connection time?

The initial connection time is normally slower Archie nothing strange about that.

Also if there is a switch involved a lot of switches can take 1-3 minutes to fully come up and have solid comms. Stratix are a prime example I have seen those go 2 minutes plus.

I will second the Kids response. I have had a Stratix take a couple minutes to connect to everything in the network. Especially after a power cycle.

How do I tell the difference between CIP connection and TCP connection? That is where I am a bit fuzzy.

Without doing a technical deep dive TCP connections are for each device with a unique IP address.

Example is your flex IO Rack with 4 modules 2 analog and 2 digital.

If you have rack optimized set for the digital modules then both modules together use a single CIP connection and 1 CIP connection for each analog module. There will only be 1 TCP connection open for that rack though.

1 TCP connecton can support multiple CIP connections but there must be at least 1 TCP connection.

A Panelview for example will consume 1 TCP connection but can use from 1-5 CIP connections depending.

Ok that makes more sense. I was thinking along those lines but wasn't sure when it came to the modules. Thanks for the explanation.

Yes Flex I/O is the direction I would also head down if analog is needed. I used point and flex, flex Ethernet is the better route. As for the 1794-AENT vs 1794-AENTR that will depend on environment. If you have a high risk of cable damaged then go with 1794-AENT so each TCP connection will be isolated. As for the switch stratix does have long boot up time so I use other types now.