Ot: Online c programming classes

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Happy Thursday to everyone,
I am thinking about taking some kind of course in C programming language. Is there any online courses that any of you would recommend me looking into? I haven't done any scripting programming since collage and that was Pascal. So I figure that if I brush up my programming skills it will help with scripting in HMI software that I have to do from time to time.

Thanks for the advise!!

$600 an hour + software cost I can teach ya...

On the serious side, I had C in college so I am not sure about the online part, I graduated less than a year ago and still have all my programs so I might be able help you if you find a class and get stuck on some code, you will learn to hate semicolons

I learned ANSI C through google and trial/error and I do recommend you do an online class or tutorial instead. I do recommend that you use the GNU compiler and only use compiler features that are part of ANSI C (a more stringent C standard). You can actually get the trial version of Automation Studio from B&R since it has a good C editor and uses the GNU compiler with the correct compiler options for ANSI C.

The compiler option string used by B&R is:
-fPIC -O0 -g -nostartfiles -Wall -trigraphs -fno-asm -D _DEFAULT_INCLUDES -D _SG4

I think if you just drop off -D _DEFAULT_INCLUDES -D _SG4 you should be in good shape for using the stand alone GNU compiler in ANSI C mode.

If you were in my neck of the woods I would be willing to teach you.

But if I may ask why C? C is very low level and not something I could see you using a lot. Objective C and C++ yes but not ANSI C.

Is there a specific skillset you are trying to develop? If so there may be some better languages for you.

As I said C is very low level not muchhigher on the ladder than assembly but if you really want to learn C basics there are a lot of resources you can find with your Google FU but this is the best book for it http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/c-p...rian-w-kernighan/1101628765?ean=9780131103627

Once you get the basics of C if you want any advanced training it's best to attend a college level cource at a local university undersomeone who knows the language well.

Most of the stuff you will find online is just the basics and some intermediate level stuff.

I would recommend CS50 from the Edx Website.

It is the Harvard introduction to Computer Science and I have to say it is very good. It starts off simple but builds quickly and the language used is C at the start before moving to PHP etc towards the end of the course. If you put in the effort you can learn a lot from it.

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x

Also the videos are really good the teacher and the others involved have made a lot of great content. I highly recommend it.

As I said C is very low level not muchhigher on the ladder than assembly...

Kind of funny to see that on a PLC forum. Instruction List essentially is assembly. And despite the pretty hieroglyphics, SFC, Ladder, and FBD are supper low level. Even ST doesn't support many higher level capabilities that you get in ANSI C, such as type casting and recursion. ANSI C is about as high level as you get with a language designed to work on realtime operating systems.

Of course, for HMI stuff you might want to go to C# or similar.

Kind of funny to see that on a PLC forum. Instruction List essentially is assembly. And despite the pretty hieroglyphics, SFC, Ladder, and FBD are supper low level. Even ST doesn't support many higher level capabilities that you get in ANSI C, such as type casting and recursion. ANSI C is about as high level as you get with a language designed to work on realtime operating systems.

Of course, for HMI stuff you might want to go to C# or similar.

In the total makeup of programming C is considered a low level language period anyone worth their salt will tell you that.

In the industrial automation world all you statements hold true about C. That's why I asked the OP about his goal.

If he wanted to build his own PLC and instruction set then C would be a good language to learn. If he wants to build IPhone apps or HMI type programs for this industry then their are much better languages to use other than C was my point.

buy yourself a simple controller like arduino or MBED (not C but very similar) and start playing with it. there are huge online resources for these platforms.

I had a class called micro P, we used the MBED. I can send you my assignments and the results if you'd like.

Thanks for all the replies!!

To answer the Kid's question: I just want to lean more about a structured language like C so that I can write higher level scripts in HMI's like Red Lion, Pro-Face and PV+. Also may be doing more SCADA work.

At this point in my career I feel like I have a good handle on the "control" part of PLC/HMI programming. Were I am weak is data manipulation. Things like how to take the data like flow, temp and even data entered by the user via the HMI and put it into a usable format like a excel spreadsheet or export it to a server.

I guess that is what i am trying to accomplish.